CJ7 with bent frame?

Toad

I have a 85 CJ7. Still has leaf springs with shackle reversal and YJ springs. It leans bad to the left side. Has always had a lean to that side. I have been through several spring changes over the years and the lean has always been there. The lean seams to be getting worse over the years. I figured I would swap springs side to side just to make sure. It is about two inches higher on the passenger side. The drivers side shackles are kicked back a little from vertical like they are supposed to be. The passenger side shackles are pretty much vertical. Is there a way to see how square the frame is without taking it to a frame shop to start with?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I thought all CJs leaned that way. :rofl: I think most CJ lifts even specify a driver/passenger spring so they are different.

just a thought, get a laser pointer, shine it along the lowest point of your frame on both sides and take measurements at certain points to the laser line. (set a certain point the same distance on both sides so you simplify the math).

Toad

So I just googled this issue and found lots of posts about this problem. AMC even had a TSB to install a shim between the axle and the spring pack to help level it. Made me think of using some 1" zero rate add a leafs from Off Road Design just on the passenger side front and rear. Sounds redneck as hell. Would this be a problem?

http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/Zero Rates.htm

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
So I just googled this issue and found lots of posts about this problem. AMC even had a TSB to install a shim between the axle and the spring pack to help level it. Made me think of using some 1" zero rate add a leafs from Off Road Design just on the passenger side front and rear. Sounds redneck as hell. Would this be a problem?

http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/Zero Rates.htm

That should work just fine.

I would also check the arch of each spring by pulling a string tight along the spring from eye to eye & measuring down at the center.

That would tell you if swapping from side to side will help before you tear it all apart!

OldGeezer

My '78 CJ7 did the same. I put an extra leaf in the left rear to level it. Then the frame rotted out and I put in a frame from an '84 model.
It leans again. I haven't done anything about it yet.

1993yj

My YJ did the same thing when it was leafs. Never could figure it out. Seen many others do it too. Chalked it up to a leaf sprung Jeep thing.

Toad

I am finding that it seems to be a quality control issue with jeep back in the day. These things are the biggest piles of chit ever built.

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
It is never ending!!! So I dropped a plumb bob off each corner onto the garage floor. I am only 1/8 out of square. Figure that could come from anywhere. Not enough to worry about.

Another thought: Check frame to ground dimentions on both sides at multiple points & compare notes, if they're close to the same, I would check out the body mounts for signs of cracks or bending or rotten bushings!:-\

My CJ7 had all of these issues AND a bent frame!:rolleyes: I kept the tub & threw the rest away!:cody: