Cleaning up a CJ wiring Harness?

burke

I am looking to clean up the engine side of my 84 CJ7 wiring harness. I have pulled the old motor and will be replacing it with a 350. I have tons of old wiring and emissions wiring that i would like to remove.
What is the best way to deal with the wiring? I will be swapping ignitions and don't want to just cut old wires and be done with it since they will still be live. Can you remove from harness completely?
What would you guys recommend?

78mitsu

gut it and put in a completely new engine harness. a carbeurated SBC only takes 5 wires. Battery+ Battery-Ignition,Start,Alternator and 2 more if it's got an AC system (5 if you have to wire lp and hp switches)

There's a few sensors in there I forgot about too, but I usually use analog guages, so the wires don't have to be there.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
gut it and put in a completely new engine harness. a carbeurated SBC only takes 5 wires. Battery+ Battery-Ignition,Start,Alternator and 2 more if it's got an AC system (5 if you have to wire lp and hp switches)

There's a few sensors in there I forgot about too, but I usually use analog guages, so the wires don't have to be there.

Not quite that simple (dumb things like the heater blower wire runs through an engine harness) but alot can be removed.

The computer and entire harness that plugs into it including relays ect. can be removed. The ignition box and all related wiring should be removed and new wires run to the Chevy distributer.

78mitsu

Not quite that simple (dumb things like the heater blower wire runs through an engine harness) but alot can be removed.

The computer and entire harness that plugs into it including relays ect. can be removed. The ignition box and all related wiring should be removed and new wires run to the Chevy distributer.

heaters are for whimps.

burke

So what is the best way to remove wires? Just start snipping or can you remove from the fuse/junction block in a clean/safe way?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I swapped the Chev donor vehicle wiring harness into the Jeep. Had all the Chev wiring I need and I'm using a Chev steering column (if you keep the Jeep, supposedly the connectors are the same as the Chev?).