Cliffhanger Trail is now Subaru rated?

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
That's cool to hear, but what about the "Z" turn, creek crossing, and the climb back out? They always seemed the best parts of the trail. I'm sure the climb out, and the creek crossing will wear with time, but I'm wondering how much "work" they did on the "Z".

cruiseroutfit said:
From the RR4W Newsletter:

"Cliffhanger permitted access work is now done, it is said to be about a level 3 at this time, but should return to the more difficult challenges with enough weathering"

Cool... :D

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
greenjeep said:
At the RR4W meeting yesterday we were told that tyhe cliff-side obstacle WILL NOT BE CHANGED. The Moab Salt Co. has decided to follow the pipeline down from the top of the mesa rather than fill in the cliff obstacle and drive in along the cliff.

Well, they changed their minds and did fill in the cliff obstacle, and drove the entire trail in a quad cap Ford truck. :mad:

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
BCGPER said:
That's cool to hear, but what about the "Z" turn, creek crossing, and the climb back out? They always seemed the best parts of the trail. I'm sure the climb out, and the creek crossing will wear with time, but I'm wondering how much "work" they did on the "Z".

The enterance going, the right side was smoothed out. After the creek crossing the left side was smoothed out. And the right side of the Z turn is now a big ramp.

Capt. Picky

quite
I'd agree with the general consensus of posters regarding the trails present difficulty rating.

For those who may not know this though, it should be understood that that work was done so as to access and maintain the natural gas pipeline which runs up and across Amasa Back and provides that service to the Potash Plant across the gooseneck bend of the Colorado River. That has been there even before the trail was re-named to "Cliffhanger" IIRC.

Most of the trails which we currently use were at one time in 'subaru' state when first constructed. It is merely due to their age, the fact that they are no longer needed or used by those who *first constructed* them, natural erosion, and very heavy use by our means activity that they've gotten to their general present state of 'disrepair'/challenge.

Given time (probably in very short order), all will return to their previous known state of difficulty.

As a sidebar here, a similar, though not nearly as drastic action took place on Moab Rim trail about 4 or 5 years ago. We had to run that trail in the dead of winter with snow on it to check it out prior to posting the status of this trails rating in the then upcoming RR4W Easter Jeep Safari. Some rock fill had been placed here and there so that a more modest (far more modest) rig could do the trail. Our assessment was that due to the general consistent steepness of the trail and the time between the work done/our viewing it, and the months before Jeep Safari, there was no need to modify the rating or remove the fill. Additionally, in that instance, the fill was not necessarily done at the exact trail alignment (rightly or wrongly depending on one's viewpoint). Before long, all had returned to normal by natural weathering and action.

I'd also add that many trails were 'unpopular' years and years ago, and were relatively benign and easy when they had their original names. When new names were given, popularity soared, as did everything else.
e.g. :
Flat Pass = Steelbender
Arths Rim = Metal Masher
Amasa Back trail = Cliffhanger

Capt. Picky