Close call tonight!!!

Green Leader

Wow! That's is nuts, Glad to know everyone made it out ok. Keep the information coming as you find it. I don't have a CO detector and am going to buy some now.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Very scary indeed... Last year at EJS the heater in my tent trailer quit and it was 20-30* at night (regulator went out), but the stove worked. So I opened the vent, turned the stove on and went to sleep. My son's sleeping bag isn't really a good one and he also has a problem staying in it all night, so I was concerned about him freezing to death. Bout 6am the CO detector went nuts. Crazy **** for sure! It was one burner in a 'tent' with a vent open. Who would have thunk it. He slept with me the rest of the trip, in a heavier sleeping bag.

Anyway, the leak might not have been a gas line, but a flue or vent and your pilot light. Most newer stoves have DSI (on demand start) for the burners, but not the oven. I'd call someone out to look at your stove and get it serviced.

Crinco

Natural gas itself is oderless and tasteless, and as said they add the "egg smell" to it for safety reasons. CO itself is also oderless and tasteless, so I can surely see the confusion where it situation wasn't explained very well.
I also had a CO detector, but threw it away. No matter what I did I could not set it off and so I figured it had to be defective. It had a digital display that would never leave zero, even after leaving it in the garage for hours with two propane heaters going (I would get terrible headaches though!). I NEED to buy a new one. I know they make gas detectors for RV's, do they have them for homes too? That might not be a bad investment for any home new or old to go along with the CO detectors.
N.G. is heavier than air (right?) and thats why they put the detectors by the floor in RV's, but what about CO? Is it neutral because there is so much in the air already?

Glad you talked to your mom, she is smart! I was just thinking this morning about my headaches lately and CO crossed my mind too. I am going to the store today anyways, I guess I have one more thing on my list to pick up :)

Glad your family is safe. I would still ask them to come back and check the whole house too.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
If you, or anyone were interested in buying a handheld Gas Detector, I can get them. For about $100 i've got a detector that can read for Nat. Gas, Methane, Ethane, Propane, Butane, and LPG..

That's if you're super paranoid..

Shtmtlman

As far as a co alarm, i recommend the Honeywell alarms. They look like a smoke detector and are kind of pricey, but well worth the money concidering what they do. I have one in my home and 3 years ago when my heat exchanger cracked in my furnace it went off before my family and i saw any side affects from it. Like i said before i am an hvac tech and in my opinion it sounds like the guy gave you a misdiagnosis because i have never heard of anyone not being able to smell gas, unless they have a personal issue with sense of smell. Gas is a very strong smell. My wife can smell the fumes in the furnace before it fires lol. Anyways, don't buy a cheap alarm some of them don't go off until 200 ppm thats enough to give someone a headache and feel nausiated.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
As far as a co alarm, i recommend the Honeywell alarms. They look like a smoke detector and are kind of pricey, but well worth the money concidering what they do. I have one in my home and 3 years ago when my heat exchanger cracked in my furnace it went off before my family and i saw any side affects from it. Like i said before i am an hvac tech and in my opinion it sounds like the guy gave you a misdiagnosis because i have never heard of anyone not being able to smell gas, unless they have a personal issue with sense of smell. Gas is a very strong smell. My wife can smell the fumes in the furnace before it fires lol. Anyways, don't buy a cheap alarm some of them don't go off until 200 ppm thats enough to give someone a headache and feel nausiated.

Not sure what I have in the trailer, but it went off and I had no symptoms. I didn't know there were different levels of detection, so this is a good thing to know and will look for when buying. And I will also add, even though it's sensitive, I've never had it go off before or since - so no false alarms.