closed knuckle dana 60

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
take it out and put a dana 44 under it. -JK, sorry I couldn't resist

A closed knuckle one would be best. :D

I don't know much about the closed knuckle D60. Is it 35 spline at the carrier? I wonder if you could buy some 'C' and knuckles from somewhere (Dedenbear and Crane make aftermarket BEEFY units so there might be some stockers floating around somewhere?) and make it into an open knuckle unit? I'm not sure if it wouldn't be easier/cheaper to just find an open knuckle unit, though.

74highboy

ive been looking around and its around the same price to convert the closed knuckle to open then to swap it out with an open knuckle

i wish i had a dana44 to put under it for the time

Caleb

convert it using stock parts or using aftermarket stuff? If you can do all after market stuff for $1200 then that may be the way to go. As it is I wouldn't spend a dime on a closed knuckled 60. I assume this is a driver side drop? If so then it's low pinion right? I would personally go for a different high pinion front 60 thats got open knuckles.

74highboy

your right low pinion i probly wont convert inless i can do it for realy cheap

my next question is witch is stronger the closed knuckle 60 or open knuckle dana44

tsm1mt

your right low pinion i probly wont convert inless i can do it for realy cheap

my next question is witch is stronger the closed knuckle 60 or open knuckle dana44

What makes the closed-knuckle 60 such a turd, other than the closed knuckles (which inhibits turning radius)?

Can't you just upgrade to 35sp hardware and call it good?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
What makes the closed-knuckle 60 such a turd, other than the closed knuckles (which inhibits turning radius)?

Can't you just upgrade to 35sp hardware and call it good?

I don't believe there's enough room in that closed knuckle for a D60-sized Ujoint.

74highboy

it hasnt seen much wheeling im just starting to work on it again and i plan on running a 37 or 38'' tire

Darwin

GREASE MONKEY
i,ve got a closed knuckle 60 on my truck too. mine is a j-3000 but it looks to me like a with a little grinding you could fit 35 spline shafts in there for the inners at least. i don't know if you could get outter shafts to match the length and spline count for your hubs without going custom? waggoner machine did a 35 spline conversion once, you might check with them if your serious about it