clueless

jeepers

hay whats up,this is jeepers the question i have is about my 98 tj wrangler.Iam having problems with the radio it quits on me and then none of my gages work,all be driving done the road and the damn thingpops back on for a little bit,i have checked everything that i can think of.fuses.......i have taken to some places and they don't know there head from there ass.so if anybody knows what the problem could be let me know,thank you JEEPERS :(

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
When it is out does pushing on the dash fix it? Back of my mind there was a problem with some of the behind the dash connections. Next time it happens press around on the dash to see if anything changes.

chadschoon

ok my 98 tj does the same thing. mostly seems like when its cold, but the radio never goes off just the gauges. hit underneth the stearing wheel and all the gauges should come on. I fix things by beating on it, but hey it works

lenny

formerly known as PokeyYJ
I fixed the exact same problem when I had my last TJ- here is what you need to do, pull the instrument cluster off of the dash, behind there you will see two large electical connectors I believe that they are blue and green. You need to make sure that they are mounted securely to the metal frame behind the dash. I took out my dremel tool with a small drill bit and drilled a hole on each side of both connectors and put a small metal screw into each hole. Also try and pull the metal frame towards the driver seat a bit- does not need to be much. Put everything back together and enjoy your fully operational instrument cluster!! :D

jeepers

oh wow thanks i really appreciate that i have 'nt done it yet but first thing tomarrow thats what iam gioing to do,thanks again Tim.I will let you know how it works out sounds like you know your stuff ,thanks again

jeepers

hay chadchoon i tried it and it did pop back on,but it only lasted like 20 min,then i tried it again and it was flashing on off.thanks

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Talking from what I have read, not from experience here, so when you look around it may be different. But I understand there is a common ground wire that can be problematic under the dash. The ground gets loose, or corroded, or rusty and you loose all your lights as well. So maybe keep an eye out for a common ground while you are looking around.

But I think that Lenny's comments will be the best place to start.