Clutch Question

JaredMD

I have a 97 TJ 4cyl. with manual trans. Last weekend down in Moab my clutch just quit working (good thing I was on Gemni Bridges!) My clutch will not engage. You can switch it from gear to gear without the foot pedel being pressed. and when you let off the clutch while in 1st gear, it bearly will move the tires if theres not any pressure on them, is my clutch shot? do I need the whole clutch kit? how hard are they to replace? any write-ups online? thanks

Webby

Official Cutie Pie
Normally when your clutch is dead it won't release. There is one of three possible things that could be wrong.

1) Broken input shaft
2) Broken disk hub
3) Bad hydralics

No matter what you are going to have to seperate the engine from the transmission.

JaredMD

do you know if theres any write ups online on how to change the clutch? or what manuals do I need to buy?

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Webby said:
Normally when your clutch is dead it won't release..

huh?? :confused: :confused:

When a clutch goes bad it normally slips similar to what is happening.

Sounds like it went out rather quick, usually they will go out over time. Check clutch linkage / hydraulics because it is easier to do. But it sounds like you need to open it up, see what is damaged, broken, or worn. Input to the transmission is a possibility, clutch is a possibility, linkage..

Webby

Official Cutie Pie
It's not easy. I changed my clutch and put one in with a performance lining. Be prepared to make up new swear words on this job!

If you haven't done it before I would find a friend that has or go to a shop. Lots of things you can mess up.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
jeeptjstud said:
where do I open it up at to see?

When I say "open it up" I mean the whole job of seperating the transmission from the bell housing. Start taking everyting apart until you find the problem. It is not too hard of a job if you have some friends to help because some of those parts get heavy.

JaredMD

can I check the clutch linkagfe and hydraulics without taking it apart? if so, where are they located?

cowmilker

SUPER CHEESY
I could be wrong but if it is 1997 it should have a hydrolic clutch, and if the hydrolics fail you will not be able to disengage it, the exact opposite from the problem you are having. Go to a parts store and ask to see a clutch kit and ask them what is involved and they can use the parts as visual aids to give you an idea what you will be getting in to. In my oppinion it is well worth it to do it yourself, it is not that technical, just be careful not to drop the transmission on yourself, (I heard U-Haul, Diamond Rental, ect. will rent you a trans jack), it does not take too much brain power to get the job done, just a little muscle.

airhardy

Rocks are my friends
It sounds like your clutch disk is blown. I have had this happen to me numerous times on different vehicles. It is not overly difficult to change. The first time I did it I used a Chilton manual and followed the step by step directions. The clutch plate has a friction material similar to what is on brakes. When this material wears out or seperates from the plate you can shift into any gear and the vehicle will not move. Sometimes it might move slowly in first gear. When you purchase the clutch kit from the parts store be sure and purchase the complete kit. It will include the clutch plate, pressure plate, throwout bearing and an alignment tool. Typcally they run around $100, sometimes more sometimes less. Get a price from AutoZone then call Checker. Checker will beat AutoZones price by 5%.

Tiny

mmmm.....beefy!!!
I just did my first one ever, good thing it was 2 wheel drive, not way hard but you gotta make sure everythings done right, if you have access to a lift that would make it 10 times easier

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
jeeptjstud - If you are interested in seeing a clutch apart and to get an idea of what it takes you are welcome to swing by my house tonight and see it in action. Last night I pulled off the drivelines, any wire or connection that is attached to my transmission, shifter, etc. Tonight when i get some help I am going to unbolt the transmission from the bell housing, and remove it so I can replace my throwout bearing. What I am doing is 95% of what you will need to do if you replace your own clutch. Mine is a 83 CJ-7, but it will look similar to what you need to do. I am in Sandy and the party starts at 6ish. PM me if you want details of how to get to my place.