Clutch

Bleeding_raptor

Bloody Mess
I believe my clutch is going out in my 95 toy pickup due to the manual tranny slipping in every gear, Does anyone know how hard it is to replace the clutch and how long it might take to replace it. or any tips and tricks that might help me when I replace it?
anything else that I might need to know.
Thanks

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Took me about 3 hours total to do my clutch in my 93 when i had it. Get some alignment studs to help slid it in to place.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
took me a bit longer, the job was pretty straight forward, but had to make a couple late night autozone runs out to west jordan... probably about 8 labor hours after all was said and done... buy or rent a tranny jack, it's the only way to go

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
My trucks on it's 5th tranny (long story that involves a prior family member swapping in junkyard tranny's.....don't ask......It's all good now) and I've got it down to something like 3 hrs. Their pretty easy if (like stated above) you have a real jack....not a typical floor jack.

Keep in mind that your flywheel needs a fresh surface, and you can by a brand new one from Autozone for cheaper than the cost of having yours turned :cool: .

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Keep in mind that your flywheel needs a fresh surface, and you can by a brand new one from Autozone for cheaper than the cost of having yours turned :cool: .

Really? The last clutch I did (Honda Accord) was like $30 to turn the flywheel, and about $90 for a new one.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Tranny jack? You guys just need to put your purses down:rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I know where your coming from.....I did my Samurai's with my bare hands and no jack :sick: Whole different story when your not dealing with Hot wheels sized parts :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Really? The last clutch I did (Honda Accord) was like $30 to turn the flywheel, and about $90 for a new one.

I guess it all depends on the make. The Toyota's are a stepped flywheel (don't know about Honda's :confused: ) so they are more expensive to turn. My new flywheel was something like $30, and turning the flywheel was $55 :sick:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I guess it all depends on the make. The Toyota's are a stepped flywheel (don't know about Honda's :confused: ) so they are more expensive to turn. My new flywheel was something like $30, and turning the flywheel was $55 :sick:

It is a stepped flywheel, just like the Toyota one but 1/2 size. :)

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I know where your coming from.....I did my Samurai's with my bare hands and no jack :sick: Whole different story when your not dealing with Hot wheels sized parts :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yeah I forgot about those monster toyota parts:rolleyes: But I had a yota and still did it without a jack. Thats the probelm with you young ins everything is all about technology, like jacks.-_-

Toad

Luk makes a good clutch. Found in alot of OEM's. Centerforce makes some high dollar stuff. Stay away from the "life time warranty" junk that you get from discount parts stores. There is a lot more to consider than just the price of surfacing your flywheel verses buying one from a parts store.

nate__82

The Mighty Green
I believe my clutch is going out in my 95 toy pickup due to the manual tranny slipping in every gear, Does anyone know how hard it is to replace the clutch and how long it might take to replace it. or any tips and tricks that might help me when I replace it?
anything else that I might need to know.
Thanks

i just replaced my clutch in my 89 YJ. it was my first time ever.. it took me about 4-5 hours and was a wonderful learning experience :D :eek: :mad: -_- :mad: :confused: :D

crazyyo

dido the luk ............ i have done a ton of clutches . . . . . .i would say the best place to get a luk is at auto zone you must tell them you want a luk or you will get a pos although about 1 in 10 az clutches ar luk........ they have killer deals on those clutches they buy in bulk......... and when you go to pay look at the guy and say is that the best you can do and he will take some off ............ if you take and use a 3m pad on a die grinder you can resurface you fly wheel if it is not in bad shape that is ......... look for cracks if you have cracks find a machine shop and have them turn it ..........

78mitsu

I always cut a flywheel, even if it doesn't look bad. it's $25.00 here to have one cut then stone ground on a laithe. it's money well spent, a good clutch kit will run @~150-180 (I usually use Ztreeter or ram Diaphram) a properly cut flywheel can extend the life of a clutch 10-20k miles, it's well worth it.