coil spring mounts

spiderman

Amish dude
Hey,guys maybe I am just coil ignorant, but for those of you that convert your leafs to coils, what do you use for the coil mounts, upper and lower. Or what works best? Just doing a little research here. or if you have some really close up, detailed pics, that would help me get an idea.

spiderman

Amish dude
I like my leafs, so I will stick with them for now. I was just looking for some info, and so I can help other people out with ideas and finding stuff. I will eventually go coil, but that will be a while.

Mike_Lib

Mall Crawlin'
Yeah, Rubicon makes some but they are $$$'s.

I needed some new coil mounts so I made my own out of a few different sizes of DOM, a hole saw, and a welder.

The bottom piece was like 5" OD and 1/4 wall. Then I had a piece of solid 5.5" tube sliced into a 1/4 slice and welded that on top of the big tube. Lastly I used an oddball size (something like 3 1/8) to put on top that would hold the coil pad just as the stock one. Note the stock coil mount on the right and my new ones on the left. Material is probably a bit thick and heavy but my rig is already a heavy biotch :D

Oh yeah...metal supermart did the cuts for like nothin'. All the material + cuts was less than 20 bucks.

I got a 3" hole saw from home depot and chucked it in my press...low speed...lots 'o oil and they came out perfect.

Now I gots 5 degrees of caster and a perfect pinion angle.....oooohhhh...ahhhhhh :D

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Originally posted by Mike_Lib
Yeah, Rubicon makes some but they are $$$'s.

I.................lots 'o oil and they came out perfect.

Now I gots 5 degrees of caster and a perfect pinion angle.....oooohhhh...ahhhhhh :D

NICE!! What did you end up doing for a shock mount, Mike?

Mike_Lib

Mall Crawlin'
Welded some tabs to my long arms...now I can run the longest travel Nacho since the working distance increased (i think it's like 14" travel)...and I get some crazy droop. :D

mbryson

Supporting Member
Welded some tabs to my long arms...now I can run the longest travel Nacho since the working distance increased (i think it's like 14" travel)...and I get some crazy droop. :D

Cool.........I did a fresh mount myself, but put it the crotch of the axle and the knuckle.....sorry, the pics are kind of dark. Your execution was my original thought, but I thought I might hit the shock body on the frame at droop.

MVC-003F.JPG

shockbracket.jpg

Mike_Lib

Mall Crawlin'
Nice. I have a bit more width to my axles and my lowers are kind of triangulated out a couple inches so that's how I clear.

How did you weld to the inner C? Can you just MIG directly to it?

mbryson

Supporting Member
Nice. I have a bit more width to my axles and my lowers are kind of triangulated out a couple inches so that's how I clear.

How did you weld to the inner C? Can you just MIG directly to it?

That's what I did after a little 'cleaning' grinder action. I've rewelded it since then as I don't think I used enough heat originally and the weld started to pull away from the knuckle (hopefully just a bad weld, not an indication of things to come). I'm going kind of conservative on the heat as that might affect the metallurgy in the 'C' of the knuckle, but who knows...........if it keeps breaking, I'll go to exactly what you did.