Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Leafs

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • both

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
P

pokeyYJ

I thought that I would get the opinions of the members here about coils verses leafs. I know the obvious advantages of both like leafs being simpler and coils having the ability to ride better and flex better. I guess that what I want to know is, is it worth it to convert to coils?

ewander

I'm all for leaf springs...KISS vs. Hooah Keep It Simple Stupid. or was the last one short? I can't remember....:cool:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Are we saying Stock to Stock? Or Custom to Custom?

If Custom......... :rolleyes: (Here we go)........

I'm under the impression that Coils probably have it, but if you're doing a Custom Coil setup, there are so many variables that make up a well-functioning Coil suspension that it makes my head spin! I've been reading about Link suspensions and Building ones own and it's really hard to seperate what works well and what people have made work.

The first time I wheeled a stock TJ, I was blown away! I think Coils kick-butt!

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Follow.....Its like when I used to climb....give me a rope and a trusted belay partner and I'll try anything. :D :D :D :D

My particular rig may not have everything it takes to do all the same trails you guys do, but I'm happy to give it a shot.

Besides, the poll is for which system we think is better. A great driver with a stock (put your worst case vehicle here) can do as much or more than a less experienced driver with a much more capable machine.

Unfortunately, I have to classify myself as the less experienced driver with a quite capable machine.

All that said, I still think coils are the $#!^
jd

Hows about both? Coils + Leafs + wheelbase = XJ.
biggthumpup.gif

P

pokeyYJ

I like what Greg said, coil setups have so many variables that it make my head spin. I would have to agree that coils on a TJ whoop the leafs on a YJ. But when designing your own the coil setup seems to be too complicated for me.

sukaB

Banned
Coils versus leafs, there shouldnt even be a poll about this....
Easy
Coils are easy-two bolts and your done.
Ride height, dual spring rates, dampening, jumping, travel, and sheer pimp ability to whoop some leaf chump a**.
Yo grandma don't ride no coils in her caddi yo.........
:eek:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
If you get right down to it, I think coils are actually easier to setup and somewhat simpler in certain ways. So that rules out the KISS theory for leafs.

I can tear down and put back together my front end (radius arm w/ coils) a lot faster than my rear (leafs).

Just my input.

Coils > Leafs. :)