Communication

Medsker

2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
So what is being used these days for communication? I have a CB in my Jeep (Midland 75-822) but keep hearing that GMRS is getting pretty popular. I have a handheld GMRS that I assume will work for smaller group rides and I carry a Ham radio for emergencies (I'm not licensed). I've seen mounted 15 watt GMRS radios and am wondering if I should head in that direction next.

Any ideas?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
CB is for peasants, and GMRS is all the rage among everybody that's too stubborn to just go get their ham license already.

Seriously, it's a couple hours with the flashcards at hamstudy.org, then a $15 test (COVID might be screwing with that right now tho), and then a $20 Baofeng to get you started.

Medsker

Your line "CB is for peasants" cracked me up :D I'll have to work on my ham license. Last time I tried (many, many years ago) it was a little involved for me at the time. Doing it with flash cards sounds like a good way to do it. The Baofeng radio is the one I own. I figured for that price I ought to throw one in my Jeep just in case. Do enough people have ham radios that they can be used on a run?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Your line "CB is for peasants" cracked me up :D I'll have to work on my ham license. Last time I tried (many, many years ago) it was a little involved for me at the time. Doing it with flash cards sounds like a good way to do it. The Baofeng radio is the one I own. I figured for that price I ought to throw one in my Jeep just in case. Do enough people have ham radios that they can be used on a run?
Yes. And you won't look back. 😁

Kevin B.

Doing it with flash cards sounds like a good way to do it.

So there's a lot of flashcard sites. The thing I like about hamstudy.org is that it remembers which questions you answer right and which ones you miss, and throws the ones you miss back at you more often until you get them right. It also keeps track of how many of the question pool you've seen and which ones you're consistently answering correctly so that you know when you're ready to take the practice tests. Then once you've passed three or four practice tests in a row you're ready to go sign up for the real one and know you'll pass it. Literally just a couple hours of study and you'll be good to go.

Last edited:

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Can ham communicate or even hear the other types of radios? I get that the range is better and that stuff but if you’re on a run with others who only have cb’s or others, are they still the king? I really have no idea about ham.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Can ham communicate or even hear the other types of radios? I get that the range is better and that stuff but if you’re on a run with others who only have cb’s or others, are they still the king? I really have no idea about ham.
The frequencies are too far apart for HAM and CB to use the same antenna. There is technically two different ways I can think of that you can sorta do it, but it's not likely that you would WANT to do that.

Last edited:
There are radios that can communicate on HAM, CB, and FRS, but it is not legal to do in a non-emergency situation. CB is basically 11 meter, but it uses AM or half of the AM wave (SSB) to communicate. Voice communication over HAM bands is generally FM. FRS/GMRS is FM also. There are no technical reasons why most HAM radios couldn't use FRS/GMRS, but again, it is not legal.

Kevin B.

Uh, yes and no. Those cheap little Baofeng HTs have the ability to transmit and receive on GMRS and FRS frequencies. It is not strictly legal, per the FCC, for them to transmit on those freqs. But the ability is there. Most "name-brand" ham setups (Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood) don't have this ability without hacking them.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'm running a Rugged Radios RM25R-UV and it's been great for the little bit that I've had it, but I heard Rugged no longer carries that model. IMO it's 10x better than a CB, the communication is way more clear and easy to understand, plus it's very powerful and can transmit a long distance. This is a mounted, compact radio that I have on the dash in the Gladiator.

I also have a couple Baofang UV5R (?) handheld's and they have been great for wheelin trips with friends. They're a good, cheap intro to better radio's once you've moved on from a CB. They are limited in power and range, plus battery life. On longer trips, I bring the charger and keep the battery topped off along the way. I've used them on the Rubicon, down in Baja and other trail runs with great success. Now with my mounted radio, I can use it and loan out my handheld's to friends, if needed.

Medsker

Sounds like ham is the way to go. I'll get started this week on the flashcards. I'll probably keep the CB in the Jeep just because it is already there and handheld so it doesn't take up much room and then have my GMRS handheld in the glove compartment.

Thanks for all of the responses!

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
CB is for peasants, and GMRS is all the rage among everybody that's too stubborn to just go get their ham license already.

That about sums it up.

Seriously, it's a couple hours with the flashcards at hamstudy.org, then a $15 test (COVID might be screwing with that right now tho)

Not as much as you might think. When you go to HamStudy.org there is a link in the upper right corner for Find A Session. You'll find a variety of times and places to pass your test--some virtual, some in person.

Do enough people have ham radios that they can be used on a run?

Even if every rig in your group doesn't have a ham radio--hell, even if you are the only one in your group with a ham radio--it is still very much worth having. Thanks to radio repeaters which are scattered around the state, ham radio has the ability to reach out to distant operators when you're out of cell phone coverage (which happens a lot on Moab trails, in the mountains, etc) and an emergency situation arises. I've personally listened in when someone two trails away from me broke their Jeep and radioed in to their friend in downtown Moab, telling them what parts and tools to bring to them so they could fix it on the trail and drive home. There have also been times when a serious injury required life flight to be called in, and ham radio is an excellent way to make that happen, too (thankfully, I haven't yet needed to do that one myself).

Those cheap little Baofeng HTs have the ability to transmit and receive on GMRS and FRS frequencies. It is not strictly legal, per the FCC, for them to transmit on those freqs. But the ability is there. Most "name-brand" ham setups (Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood) don't have this ability without hacking them.

Correct. It is completely illegal for a Baofeng handheld--or any ham radio--to transmit on GMRS/FRS frequencies. This is why the name brand radios are programmed to not do so. However, it is legal to monitor those frequencies with a ham radio. My Yaesu ham radios can listen on those frequencies, though I very rarely do so.

For the curious: most mobile and handheld ham radios (including the Baofengs) use only one or two bands of frequencies--either 2 meter, or 2 meter & 70 centimeter. While the 70cm band is extremely wide (covering 420 MHz through 450 MHz), the vast majority of 70cm communication only uses the top portion, from 442 MHz to 450 MHz. By comparison, GMRS/FRS uses 22 specific frequencies in two tight groupings: 462.550 - 462.725 MHz and 467.550 - 467.725 MHz. The fact that these frequencies are so close to the 70cm band is one big reason why the Baofengs can transmit on them in addition to the ham band (over and above the complete disregard for FCC rules, of course).

I'll probably keep the CB in the Jeep just because it is already there

This is a good idea, because CB is still so prevalent in our hobby. I have both CB and ham radios in my Jeep and my tow rig, just to ensure I can communicate with the vast majority of my fellow 'wheelers. If I have the choice, however, I'll always choose ham radio over CB.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
one other thing you might not know is that the GRMS or rugged radios all require you to have a license which is like $70 but no one even buys the license. The FCC has not enforced this but times are changing....

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
one other thing you might not know is that the GRMS or rugged radios all require you to have a license which is like $70 but no one even buys the license. The FCC has not enforced this but times are changing....

Is it the restricted radiotelephone operator permit?