compressor conversion?

samizook

Has anybody done a A/C pump conversion for a sami? Looking to know what parts to get (in detail) and where to get them. Thanks!

kb7sei

For OBA? You could look over on pirate4x4.com. I'm quite sure they have someone that has done it. It's not that complex, and most of them are custom jobs. A little filter on the intake w/oiler, another filter w/oil&water separator on the output. Run the result to your hose or to a tank w/pressue cutoff switch. There are a lot of places that document everything you need. www.onboardair.com has all the parts you need as well.

troutbum

cubi-kill
Originally posted by kb7sei
It's not that complex

yup just do it.... if you don't put an oiler on the intake, just consider the pump a consumable part ;).

Seriously, buddy runs a chevy compressor without the oiler, just puts in what comes out of the filter after every run or two. Been over a year and it does not make any funny noises yet. he runs an ARB off it so it sees its fair share of work...

I have also heard of doing this with slick50, you know the stuff that was all the rage 10 years back, they had the commercial where they run they engine dry after putting this junk in it....

I would say run a york, but i think the york has more cubes than the sammi motor ;)

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
yeah that is the other issue. it wouldn't put out that much air and the sammy motor is EXTREMELY underpowered as it is. sometimes I wish they had bicycle pedals to help out going up those long hills...

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Originally posted by spencurai
yeah that is the other issue. it wouldn't put out that much air and the sammy motor is EXTREMELY underpowered as it is. sometimes I wish they had bicycle pedals to help out going up those long hills...

While the samurai corpressors are kind of small I think they would work just fine for Air if you kept them oiled. I think you would need to spend a fortune on an electric that would keep up with them. Engine power should not be an issue because you only need to run the compressor at idle while you air up. Running them faster than idle without freon to cool the valves will reduce life of the compressor. Looking at my samurai it looks like you may be able to fit a York where the stock A/C pump is if you built a custom bracket and spaced it out just to the side of the exhaust manifold. It seems like that orange sami Phil Howell built six or seven years ago had one and power steering but I could be wrong. While I love the engine driven York in my Jeep I am not sure it would be worth losing the Air Conditioning to have Air for tires. I know that if my Jeep had A/C I would spend a lot more time in Moab in the summer. If you never run a top it would not matter though.

doughboy

Never home enough AGH!
rocky road outfitters has a list of parts but I do not know if lists
everything you need but it might help look under the "IN THE WORKS" part

IF YOU BUILD ONE THAT WORKS LET ME KNOW SO I CAN COPY IT
PLEASE :D

Attachments

• bowdown.gif
    bowdown.gif
    265 bytes · Views: 48