Comps in Moab discussion

Caleb

Originally posted by sukaB

Anybody that would have or host a rock crawl in Moab is a destroyer to our way of four wheeling....

I can see some of the other comps hosting events in Moab in the future...so many people associate moab with the events...everytime I tell someone thats not real familiar with the sport that I am going to be judging at a rockcrawling event they always say "oh, thats in moab right???" they are prolly just thinking of EJS but the fact that so many people know moab as the 4 wheelin place...I think its more of a publicity thing than anything...

sukaB

Banned
Exactly my point Moab is so highly visible to damage and dumbassedness(new word) that it already has plenty of travel and eyes watching it, all comps will do is speed up the closure of other trails as well...

I was completely sick at the mess I found over at the first site that myself and Natalie were almost besides are selves at the damage to plants (animlas) and wholly **** the amount of garbage we picked up in the buggie did absolutely nothing......
We ran into a Nice mountian biker guy who associated us with the crawl because of the rig I was driving and the concerns he had about the land were very valid as we stood there and looked over what appereared to be a war zone.....
I was very dissapointed and embarrased to have been driving a comp rig that day on the rim....

You be the judge....
If you don't stnad up to what you believe then you'll lose it just like your rights and your land.....
And we worry about payout's and ****

[watch your language!:D]

Last edited by a moderator:

sukaB

Banned
Sorry I get pissed off at this one....

Amen to that brutha......

How about this one....

Suka knowledge:

Everyone complains as they fuel the fire?

P

pokeyYJ

suka, I can actually read your posts now, whats wrong?;)

I have to agree that comps should be kept away from heavily monitored area's such as Moab.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Originally posted by pokeyYJ
suka, I can actually read your posts now, whats wrong?;)

I have to agree that comps should be kept away from heavily monitored area's such as Moab.
I disagree. I think if we are trashing the areas we compete in so much that we have to stay away from anywhere people might be watching, than we shouldn't be competing at all. However if we are truly being responsible, and leaving the areas in as good or better condition than we found them (as I believe we, UROC, are) than we should go where the most people are going to come out and watch. The sport is not going to grow by holding events in backwoods areas that no one is going to go to watch, it's going to grow by holding events in areas that people can come watch, get excited, and become fans. I think there needs to be an event close to a real city, like Salt Lake, then we'll really start to see specators coming out, and the media too. I think if you had an event within one hour of Salt Lake, and advertised it properly, you could get 50,000 fans coming through the gates over the weekend. I would love to have an event in Moab. I want to go somewhere new, or even go back to Vernal again. I'm getting sick of the same three places...

creighton

They want me to do what!?
I agree with Monkey the Sport will grow and that is a good thing. Just look at Nascar, it has a perception of redneck because of its roots in the bootleg days. Today it fights that perception with expensive TV ads at the same time it has become the largest spectator sport in the US. Rock Racing (Competitive Rock Crawling) should not be hidden in the backwoods but brought to the fore front as soon as possible to avoid a perception that what we are doing to wrong. The more fans the more participants and the more people on our side. And I an also tired of the same 3 spots.

Caleb

Originally posted by creighton
And I an also tired of the same 3 spots.

I agree with that for sure...I was REALLY disappointed to find out the supercrawl will be in St. George...

I was gonna bring up the point of UROC and post event, the sites are cleaned very well, I know...I have helped clean up before...

creighton

They want me to do what!?
Yep UROC rules at cleaning and competing. My Father comes to each event and pickes up more trach each time. One observation he noted about Farmington this last time was the reduced amount of trash. It seems that with the prohabbition of beer at the event there is less trash. Normally it seems that 1/3 of the trash is beer related. And probabley 80% of spectator injurys. I think the no beer is awesome for the safety of the fans and the staff. It was interesting how less jerky the crowd was when they were not blitzed. Now the next thing would be to get the smokers to quit throwing their buts all over. It seems they don't think they are trash or litter. I imagine this might offend some smokers out there but too bad suck it up! when you are done with your smoke roll out the last little bit of hot stuff and then stick the butt back in the pack. Those things are a pain to clean up. I'm not kidding is it too hard?

sukaB

Banned
I was singling out Moab as due to the fact that it is already under close watch by our enemies and the Sport of rock crawling already puts a strain on fresh land.....
Think of how many events just in the month of April go through there...Would you like a list.....
I'm not saying hide it damn it or only in back woods-reread my statement
I'm saying that Moab is already an abused and overused area and we don't need 5 different series events traveling thru there and destorying OR Adding to the fire.

Moab was there first and we need to respect it or our family's, children and ourselves will lose it....

FIND SOMEPLACE ELSE
This is a big continent..

What is your rebuttle then to the abuse of the land in moab that caused directly the closure of VEGAS......

Super that F thing was geared toward all the Chumps not you..

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Suka you have earned a lot of respect from me because of your stand on this issue. Moab is such a fragile area and the damage the offroad community does to the land is so visible to so many diferent groups of users(We are doing damage, the changes from ten years ago are very visible to any one that wheeled the area then). As far as growing the sport of rockcrawling (which I am all for) if one trail is lost in Moab it is not worth it. Moab is Holy ground to me and has been for fifteen years. The rim is no place for any kind of spectator event of any kind (mountainbike races included). I do not want to see any closures, but I also do not want to see any more damage done to the landscape. Moab has to be left single vehichle tracks as much as possible. Large sacrifice areas are not what I want to see there and they will give ammo to the greenies that want to make it all wilderness.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Originally posted by bobdog
Moab is Holy ground to me and has been for fifteen years. The rim is no place for any kind of spectator event of any kind (mountainbike races included). I do not want to see any closures, but I also do not want to see any more damage done to the landscape. Moab has to be left single vehichle tracks as much as possible. Large sacrifice areas are not what I want to see there and they will give ammo to the greenies that want to make it all wilderness.
Sright. Stay outta my Church.:mad:

P

pokeyYJ

Yeah, i think that the real damage to the enviroment is not caused by the rigs, rather by the specators that just through their thrash around.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Originally posted by pokeyYJ
Yeah, i think that the real damage to the enviroment is not caused by the rigs, rather by the specators that just through their thrash around.
And where they park and camp.

sukaB

Banned
Thanks Bobdog,
I do it for my homies...
no serously though Moab is no place for this...
Pokey have you actually ever walked a week after a rock crawl is done.......
I admit UROC does a pretty good job but there is always damage...
EXAMPLE blacksheep what happened to that tree on your stage last rock crawl?
DESTROYED...It can only be replaced but the damage has been done....
Fuel the fire..........
The girl from Moab rocks called and asked if i was going to compete and i said I wasnt interested in running Moab,she bother to ask why......That's what i'm talking about...
Go up the rim and look over the damage left by that first crawl it'll make you sick......
NOW I'M no green weenie,I'm actually Brandon South. but when it comes to moab...
I respect it a ton more than anything else.....I look at it as the le-brea tar pits (CA) from dinosaur age and it doesnt need a bunch of oil spillin Clowns showin off for a couple of people on it..
Take that crap to desert mountain in Delta where you can blow **** up if you don't like the line.....
Pokey that woiuld be sweet if you carried C-4 and blew up rocks when you couldnt get up them......

I really wish they would stop this before everyone pays by losing?

Think about it next time you go compete there....!!!!!!!!!

TheBigSgt

Rep Big Horn 4x4
Suka is right. Uroc is the Top Dog in my book, they've come along way in a very short time!

I also agree that Moab is way to high a profile for that kind of stuff to be going on. Also Look at WHAT HAPPENED IN Reno.