Computer geeks , HELP!!!

chadbuckner

Oh what a feeling..Toyota
OK for some time now I have had issues with internet speed. I have an HP media center m270n it has upgraded ram I added another 512mb to the origional 512, it has hyper threading technology too. I have about 160G hard drive space, an External motorola Cable modem, a linksys 2.4ghz 802.11b wireless router, The computer is connected straight to the router not wirelessly. I have a link here....

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...8872&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

I have comcast and have even upgraded the speed up one step. It should be up to 6+ MBps. I have downloads that don't get close to 1MBps. mostly I get about 220Kb-600kbps sometimes even down to 90KBps. Almost worse than my Dial up I had before. When gaming online my ping is close to 100 and has even gone up to 200. Rarely it drops to 45 but not much better. When streaming things it stops mid stream. Sometimes I can refresh the link and have it stream a little further but rarely can I stream a full video clip. I talked to Comcast tech support and they said it might be how my Ram is being used. I have no clue where to start and it is frustrating me a lot. please help!

Last edited:

Badger

I am the Brute squad
have you turned off the wireless or not?if you have left the router in default and never turned it off chances are somebody is weezing your juice.

78mitsu

it could also be an overloaded node on the comcast ring, they tend to oversubscribe in the neighborhood of 100:1 @ 5M so it could be just you are only getting that much bandwidth.

piecesnparts

have you tried to go to a speed test site and test, somethimes the upload on the other end will be the bottleneck
I use dslreports.com there are other good ones also.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Here are a few tests to try

Use 2-3 different speed test companies. you may just have a problem getting to your one test

try different times of the day. I find that 6-11 at night my comcast is much slower than at 2-3 am. I suspect this is from comcast overselling

connect your computer directly to the comcast modem, and don't use the linksys for a test. Good idea to keep the linksys in place for the long run, but to test speeds try it with the computer plugged directly into the modem

You may have comcast come out and test your line. It is possible that you have some extra "noise" that is causing errors and making it slower. Plus they can help you test your speed, and even eliminate your computer if you suspect that is a problem.

78mitsu

along with what rusted said about noise inflection, make sure the T on the outside of your house is grounded to the Ground that leaves your electrical services, it has the greatest ground potential. if it's not grounded, the fittings and connections will cause noise -> make sure all the coax fittings are tight too.

92XJeeper

Let me know if you find and fix the problem. While most of the problems I have concern extreme lag during game-play (I'm also a gamer), loading basic web sites has been especially bad the past week or so.

It's now normal for me to see 1/2 second or worse of lag in game, and it's making it near impossible to play. I called them out numerous times to troubleshoot it and nothing worked. The only things I can presume to cause this are too many clients on each node (as mentioned) and an ineffective comcast routing system. Ping test results weren't very good.

I got cable Internet service back when AT&T owned it and contracted out to Excite. That was when it was 1M download speed and the fastest thing around. I play the same game now as then and it worked tons better back then. My computer is nearly three times more powerful now, but sometimes I feel like I'm on dial-up.