computer help

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Ok, I am not sure what happened, but some how both users I have set up on XP (me and Angie) are now sharing favorites. If I go into my computer and her documents, her favorites are still there. But, when logged on under her, from both the start menu and from the tool bar it accesses my favorites. ome how the default got changed....and I don't know how to change it back. I had the ms anti spyware beta installed, think it made the change somehow, I have now uninstalled it, hoping things would revert to default....no such luck.
So how do I reset her favorites to her?

Sorry I am a putertard :p

Thanks
Marc

Meat_

Banned
Did this all happen today? If so you can do a system restore (well you could anyway) there is potential for losing anything you saved since the restore though.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Meat_ said:
Did this all happen today? If so you can do a system restore (well you could anyway) there is potential for losing anything you saved since the restore though.

She doesn't log on very often, but it happened some time in the last week.

jeep girl

rckcrlr said:
She doesn't log on very often, but it happened some time in the last week.

Its hard for me to log on when someone else is ALWAYS on some damn BB!! ;)

He could have a million things on there and I would never find them.. I'm more of a computer tard than he is!

Pathos

In the registry the user paths for "My Documents" / "Favorites" blah blah blah... for the currently loged in is located here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

If you are running a domain you could make them point at another box so that they are not kept local but on a remote share for easier profile management using the machine default settings in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Pathos said:
In the registry the user paths for "My Documents" / "Favorites" blah blah blah... for the currently loged in is located here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

If you are running a domain you could make them point at another box so that they are not kept local but on a remote share for easier profile management using the machine default settings in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

That makes my head hurt....Hopefully I can figure that out when I get home....

JoeT

jeep girl said:
Its hard for me to log on when someone else is ALWAYS on some damn BB!! ;)

He could have a million things on there and I would never find them.. I'm more of a computer tard than he is!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: put in place by the wife!

got the same problem at home myself. :eek:

Pathos

rckcrlr said:
That makes my head hurt....Hopefully I can figure that out when I get home....

Ok howbout this...
if you open up "My Computer" and goto:
%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Documents and Settings\
(%SYSTEMDRIVE% = the drive that windows is installed on)
this is where all the user funk is normally stored on the drive. In that directory you should find:
Administrator (for the administrator user)
All Users (For stuff that is common to all users)
Default User (Default stuffs new users will get when they are created)
and a directory for each user you have on the system.

Using Regedit:
The reg paths in the previous post tell windows where all the funk like "My Documents", "Favorites" and whatnot will be found.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER refers to the user that is currently loged in and is relative the logged in user (What Joe would see here when loged in would be different from what Jane would see), these can be unique to the user.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE is the system wide settings these are the defaults for system.

If the keys in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive point to the users directory under "Ducments and Settings" everyone will have seperate directorys for their junk. If they are set to something like "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\whaterver" everyone would be sharing the same junk.

Lets take favorites for example..
using Regedit follow the path for HKEY_CURRENT_USER from the previous post. in that path you will se Favorites REG_SZ and the path that windows is using to store your "favorites" that SHOULD be pointing to <driveletter>\Documents and Settings\<YOU USERNAME HERE>\Favorites if not then you can click on the name of the key and change the path to wherever you want it to be located.

hmm that should be clear as mudd :)

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Pathos said:
Ok howbout this...
if you open up "My Computer" and goto:
%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Documents and Settings\
(%SYSTEMDRIVE% = the drive that windows is installed on)
this is where all the user funk is normally stored on the drive. In that directory you should find:
Administrator (for the administrator user)
All Users (For stuff that is common to all users)
Default User (Default stuffs new users will get when they are created)
and a directory for each user you have on the system.

Using Regedit:
The reg paths in the previous post tell windows where all the funk like "My Documents", "Favorites" and whatnot will be found.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER refers to the user that is currently loged in and is relative the logged in user (What Joe would see here when loged in would be different from what Jane would see), these can be unique to the user.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE is the system wide settings these are the defaults for system.

If the keys in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive point to the users directory under "Ducments and Settings" everyone will have seperate directorys for their junk. If they are set to something like "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\whaterver" everyone would be sharing the same junk.

Lets take favorites for example..
using Regedit follow the path for HKEY_CURRENT_USER from the previous post. in that path you will se Favorites REG_SZ and the path that windows is using to store your "favorites" that SHOULD be pointing to <driveletter>\Documents and Settings\<YOU USERNAME HERE>\Favorites if not then you can click on the name of the key and change the path to wherever you want it to be located.

hmm that should be clear as mudd :)

:D :(

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Well, I figured all that out....but when I modified it, it would not stay changed....
So I just restored to the date before it was modified, then remove the microsoft anti spyware program, before it made the change....now all is fine....

THANKS