Computer nerds (herzog and supergper)

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Okay, somethings up here. I can't access Hotmail from my house. Everyone else that I have talked to can get to it. I've tried using the link from MSN, going directly to the Hotmail site, using both IE and Firefox. So far nothing.

It just times out and says that the page cannot be found....

Any ideas on what else I could try?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Brett said:
Okay, somethings up here. I can't access Hotmail from my house. Everyone else that I have talked to can get to it. I've tried using the link from MSN, going directly to the Hotmail site, using both IE and Firefox. So far nothing.

It just times out and says that the page cannot be found....

Any ideas on what else I could try?
Hotmail is only supported by MSN now.......... :sick:

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
Download this and run it. I am sure you have a virus or a worm. This is the best free antivirus I have found. Yes I work in IT :p .

MattL

The other thing no one might have thought of although a bit farfetched but still can happen is the following. Seeing as though your running off some ones elses free bandwidth... did they block hotmail?

Just something to think about..

Brett

Meat-Hippy
miatre said:
The other thing no one might have thought of although a bit farfetched but still can happen is the following. Seeing as though your running off some ones elses free bandwidth... did they block hotmail?

Just something to think about..

The only thing on that is that Erik (a guy that lives here too) is paying for part of that connection and he can't access it either. I am wondering if maybe it's a problem with the router or cable modem?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Run a virus / spyware search on your pc.

Check your hosts file to see if any program you downloaded changed any entries (which I doubt, but still possible)

located @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts (open in notepad)

I can't think of why it would be timing out for you unless like said above, they blocked the site from the isp you are getting your connection from.

Do you keep up your Windows updates?

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Herzog said:
Run a virus / spyware search on your pc.

Check your hosts file to see if any program you downloaded changed any entries (which I doubt, but still possible)

located @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts (open in notepad)

I can't think of why it would be timing out for you unless like said above, they blocked the site from the isp you are getting your connection from.

Do you keep up your Windows updates?

I ran Microsoft Antispyware and I also ran AVG Antivirus yesterday, cause I was having the problem then too.

Computer is up to date on everything. Every update on the Windows Update site is installed (except for the update for my dial up modem :p)

Any ideas on what I said about the router or modem? I don't suppose that there is a way to reset the router remotely or find out what model it it is remotely?

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Just another thing......IE won't load this page completely now. It only shows 3 posts and then it stops. Can't scroll any further at all, as there is nothing below.

So, thankfully, Firefox is working fine. Just an FYI....

:confused:

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Host file.....?

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

that's all I got out of it

Caleb

I'm actually still at work so I don't ahve too much time but thats good for you Host file...nothings excluded or redirected. My first suggestion (you may have already done it) is when I have problems like this with my comcast I have to completely unplug the modem, turn it off, then power down the machine. Then it hook back up, this will renew your IP as well as re-establish your connection with comcast. One thing before you turn off your computer is to clear cookies adn cache...it could be something as simple as that. Give this a try (if you haven't already)...also try to ping Hotmail and see what you get.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Supergper said:
I'm actually still at work so I don't ahve too much time but thats good for you Host file...nothings excluded or redirected. My first suggestion (you may have already done it) is when I have problems like this with my comcast I have to completely unplug the modem, turn it off, then power down the machine. Then it hook back up, this will renew your IP as well as re-establish your connection with comcast. One thing before you turn off your computer is to clear cookies adn cache...it could be something as simple as that. Give this a try (if you haven't already)...also try to ping Hotmail and see what you get.

Yeah, cleared all the cookies and the cache out yesterday too. I'm going with it just being the modem or the router. Too bad the dude isn't home, so I can't get him to reset them.

I did ping www.hotmail.com .....no packets lost

tried the first addy that Herzog came up with, no response on that site
Hopefully he didn't block Hotmail. Though, I don't know why he would

Caleb

ok, let me get some info, whats your SID? (network name) and whats your internal IP (prolly something like 192.168.0.X or 172.16.X.X) it can be found by going to CMD and typing ipconfig. We'll see if we can't figure out something about your neighbors router. Something else to do is download NetStumbler (www.netstumbler.com) this will give you some info (like security, brand, SID, what channel, etc) about your neighbors access point. if its not locked down very well you can access it from your computer (even if it is, with the password you can still get to it) and you'll be able to see if anything has been blocked at that level. FWIW, I can get to hotmail (atleast to the login page and try to login and get wrong info errors, I dont have an account :D) so it seems comcast is not blocking it.

Caleb

also, IMO, get rid of AVG...its not very good...download the one PierCed_3 posted...or if you want their direct website its www.freeav.com its the best program out there (especially for free). Also download and use religiously Ad-Aware...it too seems to be very good at what it does. Another IP for hotmail is 206.24.192.250 try that one. We'll get this figured out. :D