Computer Peeps - Assemble

EROK81?

Sell out
I have a windows laptop.

One day I had the bright idea to dual boot with Linux as I wanted to learn more Linux. I never used it. Fast forward to now. My hard drive was tapped and I needed the room Linux was taking up...Linux was my main boot.

Like the smrt guy I am, I just deleted the Linux partition from Windows. Restarted my computer a few days later and got the grub screen for linux. It took me a few days but finally figured out the linux commands to get it to boot.

Now I am ready to reformat but here is where my question comes in. I deleted the MBR along with the linux partition. If I reformat will that fix the boot loader? The only way I can boot now is from Linux. If I get rid of Linux completely, I'll be screwed.

So will the reformat fully restore my computer, and the boot loader, to factory specs?

78mitsu

Not necessarily, I've had windoze installs fails because it doesn't always know what to do with the MBR/Boot sector after linux has written to it. Boot a knoppix or fbsd rescue disk erase the beginning and end of the disk using dd dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0 count=1024 bs=512. Depending on the overall length use the same command only add skip='<length of dis>. It'll make sure you get both of the *partition* tables.