Computer recycling/disposal

TRNDRVR

IMA BUM
I have a few computers I'd like to dispose of. I searched the web and found a couple of places that I have to ship to at my expense, but I would imagine that would be a bit spendy. I'm also concerned about the personal info on the hard drives.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dan.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
Just Format the HDD's and then take them to your local good will (DI/ Thrift store) (if they still work)...

Caleb

Just Format the HDD's and then take them to your local good will (DI/ Thrift store) (if they still work)...
Most thrift stores won't take them. Most of the time you have to pay to get rid of them. Occasionally there will be local companies that will sponsor a computer recycle day that you can get rid of them for free, but I'm pretty sure that just happened within the last week or so.

As for personal info, if you're real paranoid, take the drives out and recycle the rest. A format won't get rid of the info like most people think. You can get programs that can secure wipe them, but basically you have to wipe it and then write over those same sectors multiple times to really get rid of the data. A 7 pass wipe is the DOD standard. So really it depends on how paranoid you are.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
There is a place in Syracuse in the West FreePort Center. Antelope Dr and 3rd, go north on 3rd around a block or so north on the left hand side there is a place called Stone Castle that does electronic recycling.

Jedisdead

Jed
ksl free ads...We had someone just come take all of the old computers from work. It must have been pretty cheap because they told us to bring what ever we wanted to get rid of, and I just tried to find a card or something with out luck. I will ask tomorrow and see who it was.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
It todays news

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=11676015&hl=5

SALT LAKE COUNTY -- Salt Lake County officials want to make it easy for residents to safely dispose of old electronic devices and other possibly hazardous household waste.

Over the next month, several drop-off locations will be set up around the valley for residents to dump items like old computers, cell phones, chemicals, batteries and prescription drugs. Those items will either be recycled or safely disposed of.

"They need to dispose of it properly," says Salt Lake County Mayor Peter Corroon. "Otherwise it gets into our waste stream, it gets into our water stream and it's bad for all of us in the long run."

Corroon says so-called "e-waste" is the fastest growing, most costly and most hazardous household waste generated in the country. Much of it is being disposed of incorrectly and irresponsibly.

The county has already spent an estimated $150,000 on the disposal of these items.