Connecticut to Colorado road trip route?

Fester

Looking for some advice on a route and things to see for a road trip from Connecticut to Colorado. My brother bought a truck on ebay so we are going to fly there and drive it home at the end of this week. I'd like to avoid as many freeways as possible. The truck, and my ears will probably be happiest if we keep it under 65 (minimal exhaust and no side windows). Also, dirt roads aren't really an option. We've set aside 7-10 days so we should have time for detours and repairs :ugh:

Thanks for any suggestions. Pic of truck attached.

Attachments

• !Bs,U2WgEGk~$(KGrHqYOKiwEvP(++plnBL3vwOrIsQ~~_12.jpg
    !Bs,U2WgEGk~$(KGrHqYOKiwEvP(++plnBL3vwOrIsQ~~_12.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 30

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
If you want back roads, you should talk to Tacoma. He knows all the bypass routes....

I can tell you that your trip from CT thru NY will likely cross dozens of highways and you will end up on one or two in those states. Pennsylvania to Colorado will be difficult to navigate in 7-10 days without getting on the highway. Have you considered mapquest or similar?

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/4-0zOh

Mapquest won't let you avoid highways.....

Google's answer:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...54,-89.428711&spn=17.212415,43.022461&t=h&z=5

Last edited:

Fester

If you want back roads, you should talk to Tacoma. He knows all the bypass routes....

I can tell you that your trip from CT thru NY will likely cross dozens of highways and you will end up on one or two in those states. Pennsylvania to Colorado will be difficult to navigate in 7-10 days without getting on the highway. Have you considered mapquest or similar?

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/4-0zOh

Mapquest won't let you avoid highways.....

Google's answer:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...54,-89.428711&spn=17.212415,43.022461&t=h&z=5

Thanks, and yes we're looking at maps and we'll also have a navigation GPS with us. And we're also planning on major highways/interstates as necessary. Mostly just looking for some tips on cool/scenic routes to take or must see attractions....?

rollover

Happy to help with ideas.

I just got back from Oklahoma City where Route 66 runs through. If you go throuh there stop at Cattleman's Café for a steak fresh from the Stockyards just behind it. The Stockyards is the largest cattle auction in the US. Way cool! Cattleman's Café is downtown Oklahoma City.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
So how did this turn out? I see the truck made it to Palisade.... I drive by every day on the way to work and I LOVE IT! Looks great, I really dig how it was put together.

Fester

Quick trip report

Stop in and check it out. Tell him I (Cody) sent you and I'm sure he'd (Tony) take you for a ride so you can REALLY appreciate our 2500 mile trip.

I call the truck "The Dumpster". Push a dumpster to the top of a steep hill, climb in with another dude, and ride it to the bottom. That's about what it felt like. The lowest point of the belly is about 2.5" from the ground. There's like 0.5-1" of uptravel.

Day 1 we picked up the truck in Wolcott, CT. Immediately said WTF have we done. Went to a parts store and rigged up a cigarette lighter. To Home Depot to build a bed floor to carry our tools/luggage, then headed to Downtown NY to try and see the tourist stuff. At Yonkers we got off the busy highway to inspect the truck and our teeth. Found the frame crack on the passenger front. The area was suspect to start with because it didn't get a gusset. The crack was substantial and it was Saturday of Memorial weekend so we thought we were screwed. Stopped at a muffler shop but it was closed. I spotted a lifted TJ on the road and the 2 guys were eyeing the Dumpster so I flagged them over. After some negotiations they agreed to let us use their welder. We followed them (Romeo and Tim) through Yonkers to their shop, which ended up being awesome and filled with everything we needed. Romeo and Tim were as cool as they get. They had better sh!t to do with their holiday weekend and their help far exceeded the cash we pooled from our wallets.

After a few fab hours we hit the road again set on seeing the Statue of Liberty. About 6 miles from the ferry we hit traffic and the truck started overheating (it doesn't have a fan). So we pulled over, and started hiking. After a little site seeing we headed out of NY.

The remaining days were filled with 100-130 mile driving stretches. At about the 80 mile mark it started to get painful and by 100 miles I was ready to choke my brother. Numerous stops to Wal-Marts were made to try and find the perfect pillow(s) to sit on. We also added a quick hand throttle. We are both about 6'3" so we had to kind of sit cross legged which made it difficult to run the pedals.

We ended up doing just the opposite of what we thought and stayed on the interstates as much as possible. On smooth roads the truck would do fine at 75. We took 80 to 90 and stayed there until Sturgis.

Rain. No windshield wipers, side windows, and the doors don't fit well or seal at all. Gallons came through the bottoms of the doors. Rain sucked.

Conclusion – I’m happy I did it. It became a challenge instead of a vacation, but now that my a$$ has healed I’m happier.

Pics are of the hotel parking lot oil change, cruise control, and frame repair.

Attachments

• IMG00141-20100531-2049.jpg
    IMG00141-20100531-2049.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG00135-20100531-1041.jpg
    IMG00135-20100531-1041.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG00121-20100529-1802.jpg
    IMG00121-20100529-1802.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I love the report!! Thanks for following up, you guys are crazy to even consider making that trip, let alone carrying thru! Sounds like it really was quite the adventure, glad to hear it was successful and there were no major issues. That's damn impressive that you guys drove that thing 2500 miles!

I might stop by some day, I'm not much for dropping in or people that don't know me though. :D

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Holy crap! I can't believe you guys made it through NYC with that little uptravel. :D There are huge waves in the streets! My hat is off to you for that alone, much less the rest of the trip. That's awesome. :D

Fester

The worst roads were probably Indiana - Illinois. There was quite a bit of construction. NY was great as far as the help we got from people. We also left all of our stuff in the bed of the truck in a side alley, at night, for about 3 hours and no one touched it.

I'm surprised we didn't have more trouble with law enforcement. It's basically running open headers, and I'm sure it was spraying sparks. We had 1 cop pull up to take a picture. We were only pulled over once in WY for driving at night with no tail lights (they rattled themselves apart) and we were given a warning.

Greg he's usually working on the house every night and weekend (around back).