Considering a PJs trailer, need input

GOAT

Back from the beyond
I sold my gooseneck and want to buy a smaller bumperpull to haul my rig. My first concern was width as my jeep is 86" wide and most trailers are 83", necessitating the addition of reinforced fenders and even then it will be hanging over the edges by a couple of inches.

I stumbled on this PJs trailer for a killer price and wanted to get some feedback on them. The one i looked at was 14ft with 2ft of dovetail (a bonus for hauling the mini). It had the HD hitch, fenders, jack and a surplus of d-rings and lights placed strategically around the trailer. I was really impressed!

http://www.wasatchtrailer.com/new_v...06410&CatDesc=Utility+Trailers&ModelYear=2011

I've been a loyal bubbas customer and i am struggling with switching brands. What do you think, and what would you expect to pay for this PJs?

Thanks in advance,
marcus

Toad

I have a 2008 pj. Mine is 20 ft deck no dove tail. 10k rated. The trailer has been great never a bit of trouble with it. Mine has the diamond plate fenders on it. They can easily be replaced if they get trashed. My only complaint is that it came with five foot ramps. I fixed that and built some new ones.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I have a PJ's from Wasatch, it's not new, has a lot of miles towing various rock rigs (plus the occasional tow rig), and it's been really good for me.

Until recently, I've never had any problem beyond tires. A wheel bearing seized up and ruined the axle--but that's hardly the fault of the trailer.

Mine has lighter-duty fenders on it that I reinforced with a chunk of 1.75" tubing bent and welded over/to the fenders. Since I added those gems, I've seen no deterioration in the shape of the fendas. :D

Mine's an 18', with the normal 83" between fenders.

Here's an awesome cell-phone pic. It's due for new wood on the deck sometime soonish....

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 28

GOAT

Back from the beyond
searching the internet, there is a 2011 pj 102 wide, 20ft long 7k rated buggy hauler in cali, for $3000.

It was a link directly off pj's twitter.

pj's links: http://twitter.com/PJTrailers
trailer: http://inventory.alm9.com/AdsDetails.aspx?Id=82&SubCatId=50

So I would hope a 14' with 2' dove would go for about the same price?

thanks for the info. it gave me a good barometer of what they are going for.

I have a 2008 pj. Mine is 20 ft deck no dove tail. 10k rated. The trailer has been great never a bit of trouble with it. Mine has the diamond plate fenders on it. They can easily be replaced if they get trashed. My only complaint is that it came with five foot ramps. I fixed that and built some new ones.

good to hear, thanks:cool:

I have a PJ's from Wasatch, it's not new, has a lot of miles towing various rock rigs (plus the occasional tow rig), and it's been really good for me.

Until recently, I've never had any problem beyond tires. A wheel bearing seized up and ruined the axle--but that's hardly the fault of the trailer.

Mine has lighter-duty fenders on it that I reinforced with a chunk of 1.75" tubing bent and welded over/to the fenders. Since I added those gems, I've seen no deterioration in the shape of the fendas. :D

Here's an awesome cell-phone pic. It's due for new wood on the deck sometime soonish....

like the tubing idea. ive been thinking about what i'd do if i had to reinforce them.

thanks for the input guys. i've got a line on a 16ft bubbas and if the seller wont budge, ill be all over the PJs;)

Bucking Bronco

I also went to idaho for mine. I paid 2250 2 years ago for a 18' with a 2' dove. 7000lbs EZ lube axles. I have owned both PJs and bubbas. Both top of the line trailers.

Last edited:

neagtea

Supporting Member
I have one like I lean's. Had it 12 years. Only put tires and wood on it. It has at least 30,000 miles on it.
I looked at the wider one it is a nice unit well thought out.
Todd and Dustin will take care of you.

LT.

I have never owned a PJ trailer but, I have looked at a few. The reason I did not get a PJ was because the trailer was powder coated. If you bang it up, as I always do, it does not match well with the shaker can. PJ makes top quality trailers and I would not hesitate to get one.

LT.

Pretty much what ILean says...mine is a 16' that I bought used in '01. It's been an awesome trailer.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Bought mine in 2000 and have many miles on it. I went back and forth between PJ and Bubbas, PJ's was built better and had larger steel frame.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
There's a company up here called Fox something. I bought a brand new (literally only a few weeks old, right down to the rims and tires, too) 7x16, 7k lb dual brake axle with trailer tires for $1850 out the door. Dudes name is Chad Fox. 5" C for the main frame and 3" C for the cross members. 2x6 wood deck. 2-5/16 ball. Break away brakes with battery. Pretty nice setup for the cost.

EDIT:
Here it is...
http://www.foxtrailers.com/index.php/trailers/7-x-16-fox-trailer.html

I only have 2 issues with my trailer: the tires are shot after a trip to Moab and Montrose, what ~4k miles? They are load rating D tires.
And the second is the deck. They must use wood that is still wet, becuase after it dried, I have some pretty good sized gaps. When I got the trailer, there was no gaps at all.