considering buying a F250-F350; what to look for and avoid

Since I never owned one, I do recall hearing the 7.3 doesn't perform as well in the mountains unless it's running a turbo due to altitude.

And about that 5.0.... that's what I got rid of in 01 for my v-10. I never liked pulling with it... LOL

gcb17

I've got a 99 F250 w/ the 5.4L, extra cab 6.5 ft bed. It's a spare vehicle that I only use for towing and going to the hardware store. It's the Work Truck package, so it's pretty plain. I've had it for almost 2 years now and haven't even put a radio in it.

The Good: It always starts up w/o issue. Reliable, enough power to tow, can't go fast enough (while towing) to get me in trouble, great beater that I don't care scratching/beating. Pretty solid drivetrain. It's paid for.

The Bad: Had an intermittent skipping and after 2 months trying to chase it down, I took it to the Ford dealer. It took them a week to find a Superchip plugged into the computer that was burned up. Somehow the adapter between the TC and Trans cracked, and I had to replace it. Sucks that I had to do it, but it surprisingly easy to rip all that out of the truck and replace. Very easy truck to work on. Uncomfortable on a long drive ( I think this is because it is the WT package w/ a bench seat).

thenag

Uncomfortable on a long drive ( I think this is because it is the WT package w/ a bench seat).

SD's and Excursions are popping up in junk yards, if you are lucky you could snag some buckets. I have a ford butt, I can sit forever in ford seats though

nathan

oxbronco

Thought I would share my experiences with the superduty. We have 3 in our family business a 2000, 02, and a 08. They all are v10s automatics, 4x4, with the 4.30 gears. We have had excellent service from all them. They all have over 150,000 miles running the original trans, zero motor problems not even an alternator or starter. The trucks have been serviced every 3 thousand, trans every 25 thousand. We also have a few late 90s chevs with the 454 and the v10 has more pulling power and get better mileage. We have had to replace ball joints, front bearings, hubs, and a pinion seal on the 2000. The v10 is the exact same motor as the 5.4, just 2 extra cylinders other than that it is exactly the same engine. My bro in law is a mechanic at questar and they have way more problems with the diesels than the v10s. His service truck has nearly 300,000 on it.

Our friends have a plain Jane '99 or 2000 V10 crew cab shortbed that they bought for cheap and keep for towing their boat & ATVs, and just general truck duties. I have used it to rescue a broken vehicle a couple times and was impressed enough to consider buying it if they ever sell it.

Plus, it's red.

My daily driver/work truck is an '08 F150 supercrew, and the 5.4 does a great job of scooting it down the road but downshifts on every hill, which I guess most gassers do, though it made my 12yo son ask "do all gassers do this?" when I started driving it. (he was used to the diesel)

It seems like it would be plenty powerful for towing until you put a trailer behind it. Then you realize you're gonna be using rpm's and may as well lock out OD. It's at 130k with no issues. Our '06 supercrew has similar mileage but tranny issues as it spent a few years hauling a travel trailer for one of the construction managers.