contemplating selling the 2011 JK

Zac001

So after dumping 5,000 dollars worth of upgrades into it only two months ago my girlfriend isnt really stoked about how it looks and or rides.

So shes telling me she wants to sell it. Her biggest complaint is that is has no balls. im telling her we can regear it but honestly i have no idea what gears to put in.

it has 35 inch tires so what gears would you run that would give it some pep.. but heres the catch already shes upset that the gas mileage went down. ( she doesnt understand why it went down.)

blah any advice on if i should just make momma happy and sell it or dump more money into it regearing it and seeing how that works.... ( also will regearing it help gain some MPG's back?)

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Moved to tech talk since it doesn't follow the classified guidelines and you are asking tech questions.

Yes, re-gearing will help gain some MPG's back, as well as your power.

Lifelong Jeeper

Before I built my ZJ it had stock axles, 3.73 gears and 33" tires and was getting avg of 12 mpg. Now I have d60's, 37's and 4.56 gears and avg 12.5 mpg. With the heavier axles and larger tires I increased my rolling resistance significantly and am averaging slightly better MPG's. If you keep the same axles and tire size you'll increase your MPG's and have better throttle response. Your engine won't have to work as hard to move the Jeep therefore consuming less fuel. If you go too low on your gearing though, you'll be running too high of RPMs and will consume more fuel. It's a balancing act so Plug your numbers into a gearing calculator in order to get your RPMs Into the right range for driving.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Is it a manual or an auto trans? I'd probably run 5.38 gears, as I think that's the lowest you can go with stock axles, plus the minivan 3.8 likes to rev.
Yes, the gears will help your power and mileage a lot.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
So after dumping 5,000 dollars worth of upgrades into it only two months ago my girlfriend isnt really stoked about how it looks and or rides.

So shes telling me she wants to sell it. Her biggest complaint is that is has no balls. im telling her we can regear it but honestly i have no idea what gears to put in.

it has 35 inch tires so what gears would you run that would give it some pep.. but heres the catch already shes upset that the gas mileage went down. ( she doesnt understand why it went down.)

blah any advice on if i should just make momma happy and sell it or dump more money into it regearing it and seeing how that works.... ( also will regearing it help gain some MPG's back?)

If it is riding worse than factory, you should have bought a quality lift kit, My JK rides nicer than it did from the factory

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Whose Jeep is it? If it's your Jeep, then that's that. If it belongs to both of you, then you've learned an expensive lesson about modding the family vehicle without knowing what to expect or consulting the significant other.

If it's her Jeep, then yer scrood.

Zac001

Whose Jeep is it? If it's your Jeep, then that's that. If it belongs to both of you, then you've learned an expensive lesson about modding the family vehicle without knowing what to expect or consulting the significant other.

If it's her Jeep, then yer scrood.

its our jeep and she wanted to lift it cause of the looks... now the wow factor has worn off and i accidentally let her drive my trans am so she likes the power lol

Zac001

If it is riding worse than factory, you should have bought a quality lift kit, My JK rides nicer than it did from the factory

it rides way better than factory.... she just isnt used to the slight vibrations from the aggressive wheels

rholbrook

I say you pack all her stuff up and put it in the TransAm and let her and the TransAm go. It's cheaper to get rid of her now then later. You will have to give her pretty much everything later anyway so if you can get by with just the car, you're better off. :)

Go to Moab and let her drive a trail like Fins and Things. She will have so much fun that she will want to keep it

Zac001

I say you pack all her stuff up and put it in the TransAm and let her and the TransAm go. It's cheaper to get rid of her now then later. You will have to give her pretty much everything later anyway so if you can get by with just the car, you're better off. :)

Go to Moab and let her drive a trail like Fins and Things. She will have so much fun that she will want to keep it

the trans am is the car of my dreams i had one 7 years ago and lost that in a divorce and this one isnt going anywhere unless it gets totaled id sell my son to keep this car... well not really but it would be hard decision lol

Zac001

4 inch lift and 35's ive found the gear chart for the auto trans and im going to buy 5.38 gears here soon but after our moab trip cause we've rented a cabin down there and its gonna be a pricey weekend anyway