Could I patch this sidewall?

Kirk

I am trying to hang on to 37x12.50x15 MTR's - I almost have 7 tires with 80% or better tread. I bought this following one, realizing about a year later that the sidewall has a cut in it. I have lots of spares with chunked tread and about 25% tread. This current one probably has 70%? I really want to try to use it. My jeep gets trailered around most of the time - but I do run around town and get on the freeway once in a while. I am wondering if patching this from the inside would give me better chances than a row of plugs.

The first picture gives you an idea how far down the sidewall the cut is.

The second one has me pushing out the sidewall so you can see the cut better

The third one is the cut from the inside

The fourth picture is my current spare I have been carrying around for 3 years with plugs in the sidewall - again probably 75% tread. Is that one safer to run?

Curious if anyone has any experience with these types of cuts....

Attachments

• IMG_0056.JPG
    IMG_0056.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0058.JPG
    IMG_0058.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0062.JPG
    IMG_0062.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0060.JPG
    IMG_0060.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 36

sixstringsteve

I'll bet you could vulcanize those. Take 'em to a tractor tire repair place and tell them they're for off-road only (I hope you're not planning on taking these on the highway).

mombobuggy

A heat/vulcanized patch should do the trick for at least one of them. as long as it does not get below 15 p.s.i. they tend to fail at single digits. you may also consider running an Agricultural tube they are very robust. For off road use only at this point I would say.

Kirk

Thanks for the responses - can tires with tubes be balanced?

Would like to be able to run them down to 12 ish pounds.

rollover

I had one larger than that on some 33's a few years ago. Big O Tire repaired the side wall by vulcanizing it on the inside. After that I'd run the green Slime in it and call it good. It lasted 42k on and off road after the repair.
JM2C

Kirk

Can you guys tell me which Big-O's you went to? the one by me doesn't do it. Or any other place?

Thanks

mombobuggy

Thanks for the responses - can tires with tubes be balanced?

Would like to be able to run them down to 12 ish pounds.
I cant see any reason why tubes should affect a tires ability to be balanced. I had a truck with split rims and tubes. They balanced well.

mombobuggy

As far as running 12 lbs. In my opinion you might be asking for trouble both because of accelerated problems with the patch if exorcising it causes it to fail. Really do not know about your exact situation vehicle weight locker status etc could all be factors I suppose. And how many times have we seen someones tire slipping on there wheel. to the point where they are no longer balanced. This condition would rip the valve stem out of the tube. I am not trying to discourage you in the least . I think it is a neat idea tires are expensive . If you are Not planning to use beadlock wheels in my opinion you should use the Crash up derby theory and Glue em Screw em Tube em. Bead screw kits can be purchased reasonably from summit Jegs etc Or if your beads are thicker you could certainly find something longer that would work. I have some tires that i plan to do this with myself and I hope you keep us updated on this project. Can you imagine how many otherwise good tires get trashed for this reason.