Couple sells home, gives away most belongings to start their 'American dream'

ricsrx

[h=1]Couple sells home, gives away most belongings to start their 'American dream'[/h]

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=40533137&nid=148

[FONT=&quot]LEHI — Like many young couples, Steve and Tess Hulme chased the traditional American dream. They fell in love, got married and bought a house. But then they realized that wasn't the dream for them.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"We did what we were supposed to do, we bought the biggest house we could afford with the biggest yard we could afford," Steve Hulme, 34, said. "(A) 3,200-square-foot house for two people on a third of an acre."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But after awhile this couple realized the "American dream" isn't one size fits all.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"We've been traditional homeowners for eight years, and we just decided to try something a little different."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]One year ago they decide to sell their home and get rid of all of their stuff. They gave most of it away for free.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"We were saying, this has value for someone, and if we donate it they can appreciate that value," Steve Hulme said.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Motivated by Mother Nature, their love for the outdoors took over.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"It seemed silly to have such a big house that wasn't being used because we were camping all the time," he said.

I know we are in the loop on this but it was neat to see it posted on KSL

GOOD LUCK Steve[/FONT]

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
I was surprised to see all the hate comments on the article. The Haters make you out as trust fund kid fed with a silver spoon. I know that is not true. I really think they are jealous of your freedom.

sixstringsteve

It's just kind of the nature of the beast. We'very had way worse comments on Facebook, so these ones didn't bug me so much. They sure bugged my wife though. It's funny, first they're made that we don't have to work (false) then they're made that we don't have kids. Then they'd be mad we aren't adopting or fostering... it never ends.

Through this whole journey it's been amazing to see how threatened other people feel when we tell them about our life. Maybe threatened isn't the right word, but they are very uncomfotable. You'd think we told them that we sacrifice goats in our basement and drink the blood.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I'd take it as a compliment. Especially that you aren't living as sad of a life as they are where they feel the need to attempt to bring people down like that.

sixstringsteve

Where can I learn more about this? It sounds very intriguing. :)

It's invite-only. We do it every full moon. You have to pass the initiation ritual first which involves eating their eyeballs. We chose not to tell the reporters about that part of our lives, we don't want everyone else to feel too jealous.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Yeah, there are much worse things they could have said. I just had to sit back and laugh. A lot of people that read the news all day actually prefer the doom and gloom, so even happy stories can't be happy to them. Oh well. Still tons better than the YouTube crowd!

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
I think that we as people are so funneled into what a person should or shouldn't be, that when someone is outside of the mold we get internally jealous. Not so much jealous of the persons activities specifically, but jealous that they have a freedom or thought or belief that we are not 'allowed' to have. Yet, in reality, if we take a moment to really put thought and effort into it we can also have freedom to think and do as we please.

I think it's identical to the monkey's and firehose theory..