Coyote Canyon - WE WON (sort of...)

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
I just checked and found I am also not on the list. In reading many of the comments, it looks like you and your club has stepped up and volunteered to do the maintenance and clean up of this trail, (Just like many of the trails in the area.) Please don't take this all on you guys. Post up when you are doing the work trips, not only on Coyote but other trails, let some of us pitch in. If we can't be there in body, let us know if you need donations, I know there are a lot of individuals in our 4X4 community who would love to help out and thanks for being on the front lines for all the fighting in the Moab area!!

Thanks! I'll definately post up when we schedule our first work party.

EB101

Thanks Jeff! I am looking forward to being one of the seven someday soon. Also, I am not on the list as well, but did submit comments.
-Steve

ClintE

i make stuff
The BLM's "Decision Record" can be seen at https://www.blm.gov/ut/enbb/index.php. Type "coyote" into the search feature.

The document is 60 pages long. While I don't necessarily agree with all of the stipulations, I respect the amount of effort and time on BLM's part that went into it. Virtually every comment that was received was analyzed and responded to, and the resulting decision reflects that effort. It is woth noting that there is a mandatory 30 day period for protest/appeal, so we are not totally out of the woods yet. I am sure that certain individual(s) will take that opportunity to continue the fight, but I am reasonably confident that the decision will hold. If anyone feels like thanking BLM for the decision, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt, but I would recommend against arguing too much about the restrictions right now. MFFW will definately have discussions with them to see if some of the restictions could eventually be eased, but at this time we are happy with what we got.

I don't know how to cut and paste from a PDF file, or I would copy the limitations and registration system here. If someone knows how to do that, please do... the rules are listed in Appendix C on page 57.

It is going to take us a little while to digest this and figure ou what exactly we need to do. We'll probably meet on the ground with BLM in the next week or two, and hopefully come up with a plan for implementation. We are going to need to install fencing and/or other barricades, create and install signs, build and install gates, and who knows what else. Might be an opportunity for an RME work party sometime :D.

I would be happy to donate some CNC plasma cut signage and anything else I can cut on the table at the shop. Please let me know if I can help.

Thanks
Clint
Battlement Fabrication

Wicked Monkey

Banned
Personally, I think it's crap. I am so tired of seeing new mountain bike trails created everywhere with the BLM's blessing, but when we try to open a trail which was already established we have these ridiculously strict regulations. I don't think this is a compromise, I think it's a blatant slap in the face! For all of the hundreds of hours (literally!) of trail work and maintenance the Moab Friends for Wheelin’ do in cooperation and conjunction with the BLM, to be treated like this is ridiculous.

None of these restrictions were mentioned in the proposal, so where did they come from, and where is the precedent for such a strangling set of restrictions. I could see a locked gate with a reservation system, or a minimum per day, or use only on certain days, but all three of those together are a joke.

I am so disgusted with this decision. I think the BLM has given us a pile of crap to eat and said either eat it and like it, or don't, but that's all you get so just deal with it!

You took the words right out of my mouth! I agree with you 100%! I feel it is a slap in the face! The fight is not over! I think these restrictions fuel my FIRE more!

leorn

reset
I am happy it is opening but the restrictions are pretty limiting. My rig isn't built for that crazy of a trail anyways. It would be nice if they eased up on the restrictions so that more people could enjoy it.

Thank you for all your help getting the trail reopened.
I was able to finish the trail unaided less built than you (assuming you have lockers/t-case gears). I can't guarantee that your rig would looks as nice when you got done, but it should handle it.

As for the restrictions, it is still closed for me. I usually only go to Moab for EJS. I didn't even do that last year. The odds of me being one of 14 people to get on the trail that week are extremely low. Frustrating! I am glad some will be able to enjoy it.

I have said before, Coyote is in the top 5% of trails in Moab for me.

Edit: I am on the comment list FWIW

Last edited: