Trip Report Coyote Canyon with Bart & friends

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I got a invite to join @Bart on Coyote for his test run after all the changes to his killer Jeep, along for the trip was Matt @UPNO4 in his clean & capable LJ , Jeff @drtsqrl in his Sami Buggy, Jared in a killer YJ and Chris in a well built JLU on 40's. I ran the trail 2 weeks earlier and was looking forward to a 2nd chance to play around on it with the TJ.

i-5NzNxDw-X2.jpg

i-GssTMqr-X2.jpg

We started in and were making good progress, with Coyote being Coyote... rocks rolling around underneath, axles getting hung up and having to reposition. The JLU was long & wide, needing some assistance here & there along the way.

i-KfWZHpq-X2.jpg

i-DVrP34g-X2.jpg

i-hHw8m2H-X2.jpg

i-CRX9vn6-X2.jpg

i-3DV7bpK-X2.jpg

We opted for the hard line to the right early on in the trail ( Cactus Canyon? ) and it proved challenging. I started out taking the far right and getting really tippy, but the line worked... then at the top, went far left and got tippy again, but didn't get hung up.

i-f9D9Dw7-X2.jpg

At one point on one of the tight squeezes, the rocks push you into a large boulder on the drivers side and with the placement of rocks as you exit, it was nearly impossible to avoid. A couple guys were helping the JLU thru, but the rear end got pushed into the boulder and the taillight was removed and the corner sheetmetal and flares took some damage.

i-HQg3m3t-X2.jpg

i-JRstjPD-X2.jpg

Everyone cruised thru some of the tighter obstacles for the most part, then we got to the Z Turn. Just getting in to the obstacle was challenging, some big boulders right in the center of the trail, smaller ones placed right where they'd hang you up and sand/dirt in the bottom of the wash creating little traction when you got hung up. The JLU opted to wisely take the bypass, but even that was a challenge and the winch was deployed to pull it up and over the large rocks. The rest of the group tackled the Z Turn one at a time, some using a front dig and others simply driving thru, taking a backup, etc. Matt was ahead of me and ended up stopped just as he excited, so I headed in and ended up parked damn near underneath him. It was a funny sight, the roof of my TJ was about the same height as the bottom of his tires!

i-2zsXpjd-X2.jpg

i-rgXJW5f-X2.jpg

i-245rsxx-X2.jpg

We noticed the JLU was having some steering issues, the track bar bracket is connected to the hydro assist at the axle and it was starting to tear the bracket off, pushing the track bar into the triple bypass shock shaft. :oops:

i-GFNS7Wp-X2.jpg

i-VV2QBTc-X2.jpg

A few more challenges, then we reached the top and headed down... it was pretty uneventful, a little spotting here & there and we we're off the trail by 12:30! Matt ended up towing Chris' JLU back to town and the truck and trailer Chris used to haul the JLU to Moab, the track bar bracket didn't come apart fortunately so back for repairs!

i-KbDRWLp-X2.jpg

i-PSQ4XDR-X2.jpg

i-qjsJsGD-X2.jpg

i-2ctjc8z-X2.jpg

i-HtHLt96-X2.jpg

i-mfnK4nC-X2.jpg

i-gcdcFp9-X2.jpg

i-f263DdN-X2.jpg

It was great to wheel with all you guys, it's been YEARS since I've been on the trail with Jeff... and a long time since I've wheeled a hard trail with the rest of the group. It was a great day!!

UPNO4

Addicted
Nice report Greg pretty much sums up a great day with great friends on a legit trail. Coyote twice in a row and the lines that worked on the last trip were just a little different this trip crazy to watch huge rocks rolling around while you are driving on them

RockChucker

Nice report Greg pretty much sums up a great day with great friends on a legit trail. Coyote twice in a row and the lines that worked on the last trip were just a little different this trip crazy to watch huge rocks rolling around while you are driving on them
I found the same on our 2nd run...lines were a little bit different than when we went with Tim.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I don’t know if anyone has ever driven that trail in an XJ thingy on 35’s but I want to.

I have some pics somewhere.... (not sure on the 35" but.... )

Time machine back to 2007
4-14-07%20002%20(Medium).jpg

@drtsqrl

IMG_3379.JPG

Some NAXJA guys from way back about the same time.

IMG_3381.JPG

Those have got to be 37". Almost as pretzeled as your XJ?

Last edited:

Bart

Great trip report Greg. Thanks for coming over to join us, especially with all the wheeling you've been doing. It was great to see you and wheel again.

This was the first attempt at wheeling the new rig, and I'm mostly happy with it. If you've been following my spotty build thread, you've seen that this went through a fairly major rebuild. So fun to be out wheeling again.