Coyote / Hellrdorado question...

trailxj

How bad are these trails for a full bodied XJ on 37's? Im pretty sure Helldorado is a nogo, pretty sure on the squeeze part my drivers side roof area is gonna get smashed. But what about coyote?

Ive already have a good share of body damage, so im not real concerned with a dent here and there, more concerned about major damage. im not ready to tube it quite yet :D

Last edited:

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
You'll probably put a dent in your rear quarter panel, but other than that you can get through coyote without major damage. Both trails have the potential to inflict major drivetrain and body damage.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I would say with a full body rig like that, most of it will depend on your driving skills. There are ways to get a full body XJ through the helldorado squeeze. There is a very specific line you can take as long as you don't have full width axles. ;)

trailxj

Pretty much the answers i was expecting. Im tagging along witha buddy to blazer bash in oct and coyote is one of the "hard" trails they are going to run and area BFE which I can only assume would some will run Helldorado. So Coyote is more likely in my future than Helldorado, but I can hear it now

"come on you can make it..."

"you didn't come all this way to watch did you?"

I guess it will depend on how brave I am on that day. After all I do have a trailer:D

"There are ways to get a full body XJ through the helldorado squeeze. There is a very specific line you can take as long as you don't have full width axles."

no full width here (hp44 & 8.8), can this line be described or is it something you need to see? just in case...

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
trailxj said:
no full width here (hp44 & 8.8), can this line be described or is it something you need to see? just in case...

Here are some examples of that spot. My rig is considerably narrow, but my track width is very close to normal cherokee width (62" WMS to WMS).

You have to drive in close to the wall and don't be scared about rubbing your front clip a little. If you stay that close, you will end up about like this:

attachment.php

If you stay a little too far left and have a longer wheelbase, your vehicle tips into the wall like this:
attachment.php

I think Greg only scratched a little on his cab from that. That is usually the way that everybody goes in. If you are creative, you can drive yourself through there nice and tight with minimal scratches & dents.

It's really not bad. Helldorado is all about picking the right lines. If you use your horsepower, that's when you break things. Other than that, no worries. :)

trailxj

so you go in tight to wall driverside and try to hook your front pass tire around the boulder/ledge on he passenger side. instead of climbing it with your passenger tire? Then keep hugging that rock on the passenger side and hope the rear end doesnt tip to hard into the wall...

looks fun anyway.

Seth

These go to 11
Coyote is going to be all about line selection. I made it through without a scratch, Ben on the other hand, who has same wb and width scratched his body all to h-e-double toothpicks.

leorn

reset
coyote

I put a couple of scratches on my 85 4runner on 35s, but I agree that you should be able to get by without. I did use my sliders quite a bit, but I'm assuming you have those.

CrawlerCraig

Sliders and a good line selection and both can be done without any damage! BUT you always will have that one thing that goes wrong and then.........well you get the point.......Good luck.....

P.S.
I ran Upper Helldorado as a Full size with a full bodied bronco and the only part i touched was on painted rock.I little tug on the roll cage with a strap and i was fine.

trailxj

Thanks for the comments guys. Sounds like there is a pretty good chance i can get through withough a ton of damage. So I'll probably have to give it a shot :D

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
trailxj said:
Thanks for the comments guys. Sounds like there is a pretty good chance i can get through withough a ton of damage. So I'll probably have to give it a shot :D

You'll never know unless you try!

Walk through helldorado on foot first. It's a fairly short trail... then you can decided for sure. :cool:

Bart

Coyote wasn't around when I had my XJ but I made through Upper H without touching any body. The hardest part was the big breakover. I hear Coyote is not the trail it once was but haven't done it yet.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Bart said:
Coyote wasn't around when I had my XJ but I made through Upper H without touching any body. The hardest part was the big breakover. I hear Coyote is not the trail it once was but haven't done it yet.
Didn't you do Coyote with us once, Bart? Am I getting senile in my old age? I thought I remember us doing Coyote when you had your old FTM buggy.

Bart

Oh crap, you're right, and it was a ball. I guess memory is one of the first things to go after you're older than dirt.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
RockMonkey said:
Didn't you do Coyote with us once, Bart? Am I getting senile in my old age? I thought I remember us doing Coyote when you had your old FTM buggy.

Yep, I was there too... and I can vouch for Bart being there! I have video footage. :D

neagtea

Supporting Member
There is a couple of places where I have rubbed my family cage on my CJ7. In coyote. I have cleaned it a couple times also.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Bart said:

ya, I was like "wait a tick..."