Coyotes being coyotes...

DAA

So this was pretty neat. Messing with some coyotes this weekend, taking pictures, and got to see some stuff happen.

Started off with these two knuckleheads.

IMG_4426W.jpg

I didn't hear anything, but the way those two perked up all the sudden, I think they must have heard another coyote howling. Then one of the knuckleheads trotted a few steps off from the other and started howling.

IMG_4451W.jpg

IMG_4456W.jpg

So, a couple minutes later, I look back over my shoulder and spot this guy trotting in to join the party.

IMG_4478W.jpg

The first two started out across the open field to meet this new comer. But when he was still a hundred yards off from them, he pulled up short and go ready to pounce.

IMG_4519W.jpg

I wish the picture I took of him in mid-air would have turned out, but it didn't. Turned out so blurry I just deleted it. But I did get a shot of him at the end of his jump.

IMG_4534W.jpg

IMG_4535W.jpg

IMG_4551BW.jpg

I do believe this was the boss dog of this crew. I know he was a male - I got several pictures of him marking his spots. But before he got there, I'd been playing with the minds of the other two for awhile. They'd leave, I'd throw a different sound at them, they'd come back. At one point they even laid down and closed their eyes! But once this new dude arrived, as soon as he was done eating his mouse he started walking towards the thick brush and the other two followed him into it and I didn't see them again.

IMG_4558W.jpg

- DAA

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Nice photos! Just out of curiosity Dave have you ever seen an all black coyote? I came across two of what looked just like coyotes, but were all black when I was out in the desert a couple weeks ago.

OB1

Have you tried going out to Antelope Island to take some pictures? I've seen a lot of coyotes this year. Even seen one chasing a deer, but was glad to see the deer get away. Sure would like to take the 308 out there to thin them out alittle. Seen 10 different ones in about a 2 mile stretch one time while I was on horseback just south of the ranch.

DAA

I have been out there, but not away from the roads. Maybe I need to try and make it out there and hike the south end before too much snow piles up.

- DAA

OB1

Let me know if you do. I don't have the lens you do but I always like getting out to take pictures of the wildlife.