Crane Diff Cover

Cory

I'm thinking about getting a Crane Diff cover for my Ford 8.8. Anyone have any experience good or bad with Crane Covers? The cheapest I've seen is $171 anyone know of better pricing? Or anyone have another brand that is worth investigating? My stock cover is leaking and rather than trying to hammer it back into shape, it is probably time for an upgrade.

Utahcryogenics

Formerly "Beerman"
I would just buy a replacement cover, and then just get a skid plate for it.
there is a guy on Ebay who sells awesome skid plates for $55.00.
Or you could just get a WARN skid plate for about $70.00

That would be the better route to go IMO.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Cory said:
I'm thinking about getting a Crane Diff cover for my Ford 8.8. Anyone have any experience good or bad with Crane Covers? The cheapest I've seen is $171 anyone know of better pricing? Or anyone have another brand that is worth investigating? My stock cover is leaking and rather than trying to hammer it back into shape, it is probably time for an upgrade.

why pay a bunch of $$$ for a piece of metal just to slam it into rocks???

just get another stock cover and piece some scrap metal onto it. or buy a cheap guard like he said.

N-Smooth

Beerman said:
These diff covers are awesome, and the company making them is in Logan, Utah.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2473358810

As soon as they make them for an 8.8 I am buying one. I beleive they are making them starting this month.

they have those at ftm... i don't like them. i like the ring because it snugs the bolts down, but i don't like how the strap is welded in such a small area, needs more suface imo

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Cory said:

I've got a Crane on my 8.8. I love it. I bought it for $150 from their vendor booth at a UROC comp. It was a display, so it's bright green, and that's how I left it. The reason I went with a Crane is that any other skid plate would interfere with my gas tank, I couldn't put a grille or anything like that because it adds more bulk where I can't afford any. The Crane sticks out only 1/8" more than the stock cover, so it clearanced the gas skid just a little, now it's fine. When I get $$$ again, I'm sure I'll get one for my D30 too.
Devin

The Cranes are incredible, very nice.... I had a hard time deciding, but decided to support a up and coming fabricator... this what I just bought to run on my 60...
322507.jpg

Bought it from a guy who I originally met on ebay who laser cuts them... don't know if he has your application but you could email him Shawn@bralinlaser.com (Tell him Adam in Utah sent ya and to give a good deal). I got a killer deal on mine.. I ordered a front and rear and some disc brake brackets he makes like this.. all for 251.00
322507.jpg

-JJ

PS.. High Five da'Stick!

Last edited:

JAFO

?
I also have a Crane on my 8.8. I got it from rockstomper, I can't remember the price. It's awesome, if I get enough money for a 44 front I will get a Crane for it too.

N-Smooth

WayneXJ said:
I bought a guard for about $70, it does the job. No need to overpay.

you could make one for like $7 with some flatbar or rod... plus it is fun to make stuff like that

Caleb

If I had the money I wouldn;t think twice about running a crane or one of the other aftermarket HD covers...on a budget though I say make your own...all thats needed is a welder and a BFH:D

Cory

I went ahead and got the Crane. I wish I had the tools and experience to make my own, but I don't so I shelled out the money. I got it on last night in the parking lot of my townhome and no leaking. It also took a lot more oil than before. Don't know if that really helps or not.

On a side note hopefully that will be the last work I have to do in the parking lot of my place. We have sold the townhome and have to be out on Thursday. Now the only problem is we haven't found a place to buy. If anyone knows of a home for sale in American Fork, Highland, East Lehi area with over 3000 sq ft, already fenced with RV parking please let me know.