Crawfishing

The_Lobbster

Crayfish, crawfish, crawdads, whatever you call them.

Recently got into the sport of fishing for such critters, and I’m hooked! (Pun intended)

Strawberry is definitely a great spot with plenty of them, but wanted to see if anybody here has any recommendations on where else might have some big mud bugs, or has some pics to share from their hauls.

Here’s a few pix from my latest adventures.

IMG_8072.jpegIMG_8065.jpegIMG_8191.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8071.jpeg
    IMG_8071.jpeg
    388.9 KB · Views: 5

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I spent a couple years in Mississippi. I've had some seriously good crawfish.

Tried a couple Utah fish shacks. Not the same.

I've seen a few traps along the canals that run through South Jordan / West Jordan. I don't know how successful they are though

1969honda

Supporting Member
I've heard that Cutler marsh/Benson marina can be decent but never tried myself. However a good southern crayfish boil can't be beat in my book.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I've done well at starvation and Lake powell.

The San Rafael river is full of them too and they're easy pickings in the fall or spring before the runoff starts

The_Lobbster

I've done well at starvation and Lake powell.

The San Rafael river is full of them too and they're easy pickings in the fall or spring before the runoff starts
I dropped traps at starvation before and didn’t catch a thing, maybe I just wasn’t in the right spot?

Any particular location on the San Rafael river you could recommend?

The_Lobbster

I caught a Burbot that was full of them at the Gorge once. I imagine he had a huge tummy ache because some of the crawfish were still alive and pinching lol.
I was actually wondering about this last night, could a claw kill a fish from the inside by tearing open its stomach?

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I was actually wondering about this last night, could a claw kill a fish from the inside by tearing open its stomach?

Not sure…. that particular Burbot had five or six decent sized ones in it too. Edit: not nearly as big as the ones you’ve posted pics of (Rot Box telling fish stories again haha 😣)

I know the Burbot move in on the shoreline at dusk to eat them. Legend has it anyway. Weird fish for sure!

Last edited:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I dropped traps at starvation before and didn’t catch a thing, maybe I just wasn’t in the right spot?

Any particular location on the San Rafael river you could recommend?
I was a kid when we'd get than at starvation, but at night you could take a stringer with a piece of bacon and put it in the water and ten would come wandering up within seconds.

We've had luck about a mile south of the swinging bridge on the Mexican mountain road. When the water is reasonably clear you can just catch them by hand at night. My kids love it.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
What do you guys do as far as prep/cook methods? I've caught them several times, and always just end up tossing them back because I've never bothered to figure out how to prep and cook them.