Crawl ratio

Toad

I was just playing around and figured out what my crawl ratio is. 48-1. Seems kind of high. I have never really felt the need to go lower. Is there a need for more gears. Is it something that just needs to be tried and ill kick myself for not doing it sooner.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
What kind of vehicle and specs? I thought 50 to 1 with an auto and decent motor was pretty good

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
You answered your own question--if you've never felt the need to go lower, then you don't need to go lower. :)

There aren't any cheap/easy options for you to go a lot lower, though--you can change axle gears (you may not want to though, since 4.56's are probably appropriate for your 33's on the road), you can change your transfer case gears (good option, but will still cost you ~$700), or swap your transmission for one with a lower 1st gear (another expensive option)

Toad

I looked at the prices for the 4-1 kits it ads up in a hurry. I probably wont worry about it. I guess I might have to replace the clutch a little sooner. I have that tranny removal down to 35 minutes. Not that big of deal.

SLIVER

))--SLIVER-->
108:1 Here in an 85 4runner with double t-case and 5.29's on 35's. If I drop the 4.7 low gear set in the rear case I'll go to like 258:1 or something crazy like that. It is the only reason I can keep up, what with my 72 HP and all. HA HA.

))--SLIVER-->

Last edited:

turbohaulic

I don't know it just is!
108:1 Here in an 85 4runner with double t-case and 5.29's on 35's. If I drop the 4.7 low gear set in the rear case I'll go to like 258:1 or something crazy like that. It is the only reason I can keep up, what with my 72 HP and all. HA HA.

))--SLIVER-->

Haha x2, I need the lower gears for my 22r power:D I've got dual cases w/out the 4.7 gears in the rear case, 5.29's in the axles and love the set up. Only a few times I'd like lower (not many thou):)

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
They say, with an auto, the torque converter gives you another 2.5 to 1 just before it gets really solid:-\! I ran 3.55's in my XJ for 4 years with 33" tires & almost no breakage, but I would power out if I stopped in the middle of a climb to adjust my line sometimes:-\!

So, I went 4.56 gears to solve the powering out issue & started busting parts:rolleyes:! Sooo, The come the axel swaps :rofl:& so on, &so on, &....

If it runs & climbs & wheels like you want it to, IT'S FINE!:D Love it & use it:)

When it doesn't you will decide then and there how much you are willing to spend to make it so:rofl::rofl::rofl:!!

WHEEL ON BRUTHA!!:D

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
I should be around 60 to 1, simple math sez... 6.62x2.89x2.99 =...(6.5x3 = 21.5 x 3, = 59.5) so yeah, rounding to make it even it says 59.5:1.

460/NP435/BW1356/60f-3.73/60r-3.73/40"tires.

Last edited:

Toad

Well after spending a few hours driving moab rim this weekend I felt the need for more gearing. Looking around I see the teraflex kit has two piece gears. Has anyone had a problem with that design.

NOTATOY

BACKYARD CUSTOMZ
Thats the nice thing about toyotas is its so easy to get extremely low gear ratios. I'm running a doubler with 4.7's and 5.38's in the axles which puts me at like 23?.1 in first gear double low.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I'm pretty sure the Teraflex gears are one-piece gears. Their first ones were two-piece, but that was quite a few years back. (I could certainly be wrong, so check with them to be sure)

Edit: Just looked at the pics, and it does appear that the intermediate gear is a two-piece design. :shrug: I have that kit in my D300, but I'm not worried about it. I think I'll break a lot of stuff before the gears fail.

Last edited: