crawler hauler

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
I have heard rumor of someone who had converted an old school bus into a hauler, with the front half a bus, and the back half a flatbed to drive a crawler up onto. Has anyone see anything like this? I have a friend looking to do something similar to this for snowmobiles. If it is out there does anyone have pictures they can send?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Do a search on Pirate... there are several...

In fact, do a search here, I remember Cody was going to get one too...

Sky's Extreme has a couple up in the Odgen? area.

Floppy Hat

mbryson's hairdresser
Here is a pic or one. I think it is the same one that was for sale on POR awhile ago, but the paint job is the product of Photoshop.

bushauler1.jpg

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
That is what I had in mind, for the snowmobiles they want to keep it enclosed, but that is a cool way to go to Moab. The deck is much lower than I was thinking it would be, so it may work out very well.

bb88

New Title
the ones at Sky's Extreme are set up to haul 2 rigs. one enclosed and one in the open on the rear deck, their rear deck is WAY taller than that purple thing.

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
I guess they just weren't that aggressive with the torch. Although, it is a decent concept. They get as good mileage or better than the pickups and trailers they used to haul their junk with to comps in the past. Plus they have a dry place to park at least one buggy. You know they only paid $500 bucks for each bus.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
joez said:
dont mean to hijack, but wouldnt you need a CDL for one of those?

I won't call that a hijack, because I have the same question. I am sure it will require a CDL to drive one, but there are different classes of CDL, does anyone know where the weight / size cutoff is for the classes off hand?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
rusted said:
I won't call that a hijack, because I have the same question. I am sure it will require a CDL to drive one, but there are different classes of CDL, does anyone know where the weight / size cutoff is for the classes off hand?
26,000 GVW or under = no CDL unless you have Hazardous materials. That truck probably weighs about 14 to 16,000 LBS empty, so I would register it at 24,000 lbs.

Last edited:

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Hickey is right, looks like you can drive it with out a CDL, here is a link I to the Utah law about CDL requrements.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
jamesgeologist said:
I guess they just weren't that aggressive with the torch. Although, it is a decent concept. They get as good mileage or better than the pickups and trailers they used to haul their junk with to comps in the past. Plus they have a dry place to park at least one buggy. You know they only paid $500 bucks for each bus.

i saw both of them on the way to Moab the other week...i think Carl told me they've got auto Allison tranny's and all sorts of cool stuff....i liked em, i've always wanted to do something like that.....

the thing i don't get, is how does one rig fit inside? cause when i went up to them, just looking at the one on the outside, it seemed there wouldn't be enough room for one inside???? someone should get some pics of these things!!! :)

utahxjer

pretty sure you have to get a bus endorsement, look on your driver's license if you have an older style one

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
utahxjer said:
pretty sure you have to get a bus endorsement, look on your driver's license if you have an older style one

I 'Think' that if you reregister it as an RV, and are below the weight rating as Hickey indicated, you do not need one.

I talked to Sky's at SuperCrawl and took a good look at both rigs. They run a Detriot Diesel and an Allison tranny, get about 17-19 mpg and will motor up to about 70 mph. They did get them cheap, but not as cheap as was indicated above. {close, though} That got me wondering about buying one for the power train and using it in an old pickup/suburban chassis......... {that Detroit can't be light, though}

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
If I remember correctly, the Sky's buses are chopped so that there are maybe four seats, five if you count the driver. I think your passenger capacity and rating is dependant upon the number or available seats. Therefore 15 seats would keep you under the 16 passenger endorsement requirement. $0.02