Crazy Idea

Silly Willy

So i'm looking into building a "custom" car.

I'm looking into 4 wheel steering but would like it to remain street legal.

Does anyone know what kind of steering system Jeep used to build the Hurricane?
"http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?17121-Jeep-Hurricane" - For those that haven't heard about it.

I wouldn't be looking for the "Zero Steer" as i want solid axles under it.

as for steering options i'd be looking for,
Crab Steer (front and rear turn the same direction)
Follow through (front and rear turn opposite directions for tight turning ratios)
standard steer (where the rear lock straight)

This is a build I've thought of since the game originally came out and with the technology that's out there i have no doubt that its possible.
I know to be street legal you have to have a physical link attached to the axle. (this is why i ask about he Hurricane)

I plan to make it look slimier to this - "Warthog" from Halo (below pictured in a crab steer stance)
weta_car1.jpg

Additionally, on the Hurricane, how did they get away with no mud flaps?

Thank you for any help.

AaronPaige

The concept jeep made never had to be street legal in utah I see it in person but can not remember any physical links for steering seems like it was electic

B2-Bomber

what about the 4-wheel steer system that GMC was marketing about 8 years ago? it was solid axle, and had electric controls that at low speeds the wheels turned opposite, but as speed got past a certain point (like 15mph I think) it then switched so that they turned the same way. maybe retro-fit that system? or what about the 4-wheel steer active management from a z-car? but the z-car didn't have a solid axle, it was IRS

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Quadrasteer was GM's deal.

The preludes and RX7's had non-input rear steer up to like 7*

I think it's doable, I actually saw a setup on a truck at SEMA that had a pnuematic actuated clamshell style locking clamp on each side of the double ended rear hydro ram so they could "lock out" rear steer at high speeds or on the road.

I think simplicity would dictate my game plan.
Electric hydraulic rear pump and orbital control. Double acting rear ram, and electronic controls mated to the steering column to mimic steering function with the option to flip outputs to get crab and follow through.

Take a good look at some monster truck build threads for ideas on how to accomplish it.

Silly Willy

From what i found on the prelude and such, they had a hard link that went back and controlled the rear wheels.
on these they would "crab" if the turn was slight (changing lanes) and would follow through if the turn was sharper.
I'm pretty sure their systems wouldn't work on anything going off road.

GM's quadrasteer is becoming a hard to find part. Those that i've been able to find have either missing parts or broken parts that GM doesn't make anymore.
Its defiantly a cool looking set up.

a few quick questions.
Would a hydo rear be street legal?
If so, I believe I could set up a servo on a bypass valve that would essentially switch the hydro lines so I could switch between crab, and follow through.
on that servo i could hook it to the speedo to automatically decide between the two at speed, or something of this nature.

on the electric/hydro that's been stated would this possibly be legal?
This would make it a little easier to have a "lock at center" option programmed in for standard driving.

Overall i'm mainly looking for an option that would be able to be considered "legal" for street use, but will allow optimal performance off-road.

STAG

On my grind
I don't mean to be "that guy" but the thought of driving on the same road as anyone who came up with their own rear steer design in their driveway sickens me. That's a dangerous tool to play with on city streets without any kind of a solid mechanical lockout being used to make rear steer non-functional for on-road use.

B2-Bomber

I don't think he really would do this. I this seemed like an exercise in hyperbole. but I do agree with chocflip. Unless you are a mechanical engineer, with an expertise in vehicular design. this should be left to the professionals.

Silly Willy

I don't mean to be "that guy" but the thought of driving on the same road as anyone who came up with their own rear steer design in their driveway sickens me. That's a dangerous tool to play with on city streets without any kind of a solid mechanical lockout being used to make rear steer non-functional for on-road use.

Very valid opinion.

I'm not looking to just whip something together and play on the streets.
I'm looking to build something that is mainly used for off-road, but has the ability to be on road when needed. Having a rear steer lock out is one option i'm looking into, but for the purpose of this discussion i'm looking for what would be able to be Legal on road.

As far as legal vehicles that freak me out check out these... All street legal...
http://www.cracked.com/article_19815_the-9-most-insane-vehicles-that-are-street-legal.html

Silly Willy

Apparently "Legally" the "Custom" vehicle would have less laws in-forced than i had thought... Nothing stated about steering... and wouldn't be daily driven on the road..

Under Section 15 C)

c. A custom vehicle is primarily a collector's item that is used for: club
activities; exhibitions; tours; parades; occasional transportation; and
other similar uses. A custom vehicle does not include a motor
vehicle that is used for general, daily transportation or is a vintage
vehicle (UCA 41-6a-1507).

B. MINIMUM SAFETY EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS FOR A CUSTOM VEHICLE:
1. Hydraulic service brakes on all wheels with current vehicle brake and
stopping standards.
2. Parking brake operating on at least two (2) wheels on the same axle.
3. Seat belts for all passengers and driver.
4. Sealed beam or halogen headlamps.
5. Brake Lamps.
6 Turn signal lamps and switch.
7. AS-1 safety glass or Lexan.
8. Electric or vacuum windshield wiper in front of the drivers view.

C. REJECT when:
1. Any of the above requirements are not met.

B2-Bomber

keep in mind that if you are caught not on a parade, car club function, or even appear to not be in transit to either of those they can nail you for unsafe vehicle.

Silly Willy

keep in mind that if you are caught not on a parade, car club function, or even appear to not be in transit to either of those they can nail you for unsafe vehicle.

I'm pretty sure that would count under the "occasional transportation; and other similar uses." and still be good...

Now if you don't mind, lets get back on track with the options that could be considered "Legal" for a vehicle other than "custom"
From the provided link "http://publicsafety.utah.gov/safetyinspections/docs/2011-2012%20SI%20PLT%20Manual.pdf" under steering is has no specification to the rear of a vehicle. also the only notation I found regarding "manual steering" is "Manual Steering is an ADVISE when the gear box has a dripping leak."

Other than that the only applicable part I've been able to find (for a non custom vehicle) is,
"REJECT when: 1) Braking or steering systems have been altered, modified,
disconnected or changed in any manner that may impair the
safe operation of the vehicle."

The above is a very general statement.