creepy crawlers

camicaztoy

i wasn't sure were to post this so i out it here.
anyway im thinking about stepping up to some 37 or 38s on my toyota. if i deside to do it, ithink i want to run creepys. so i guess i m looking for some opinions on doing this and also some info on the tires, pricing, best place to buy and so forth. rim size doesn't matter, i will buy new rims, it would be a good excuse to buy beadlocks.
i guess i should show what im runnig. its an 85 toyota pickup, its got a 3.0 injected v-6, wide track rear, 8in front with 30 spline longfields, spool rear, arb front, ram assist crossover steer. 4 in yj springs. 2 inch body lift and currently 35x 13 baja claws. any thought would be great.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
i wasn't sure were to post this so i out it here.
anyway im thinking about stepping up to some 37 or 38s on my toyota. if i deside to do it, ithink i want to run creepys. so i guess i m looking for some opinions on doing this and also some info on the tires, pricing, best place to buy and so forth. rim size doesn't matter, i will buy new rims, it would be a good excuse to buy beadlocks.
i guess i should show what im runnig. its an 85 toyota pickup, its got a 3.0 injected v-6, wide track rear, 8in front with 30 spline longfields, spool rear, arb front, ram assist crossover steer. 4 in yj springs. 2 inch body lift and currently 35x 13 baja claws. any thought would be great.
My bro. runs 37"creepy crawlers on his jeep with the 6 cylinder and we would agree that they are a very good tire. they seem to have tough sidewalls and the grip the have is too good. He is running a high pinion ford dana 44 and when we went to moab he busted 3 shafts because they hooked up to good. His only complaint besides needing a 60 for these tires is that they wear fast on the street. I would to run these tires but will wait till they make them in a 39" and have a dana 60.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I ran the Creepys on my Toy. Can't beat that tough sidewall, but the grip is rather poor. I run MTR's now for that reason. I hate the weak sidewall of the Goodyears, but life is all about compromise I guess. Also, the creepys kinda blow if you do much street driving.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I ran the Creepys on my Toy. Can't beat that tough sidewall, but the grip is rather poor. I run MTR's now for that reason. I hate the weak sidewall of the Goodyears, but life is all about compromise I guess. Also, the creepys kinda blow if you do much street driving.

The Creepys are TOUGH. I've seen them grip pretty well, but you've run them both so I'll have to defer to your wisdom. :D

I've not had sidewall issues with the MTRs I've run (2 sets). Did you only have trouble with them in Delta or did you lose a few elsewhere? I'm in NO way comparing the MTR sidewall to the Creepy. The Creepy will win every time, I'm sure.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
What do you know about grip, you run Swampahs..... :D

Maybe your memory is better than mine, but I've lost an inside bead seal and a couple lugs playing in Delta, but I dont think I cut down a tire there.

I destroyed one in Vernal, two in Moab on different trips, and one on a crushed car in Price (which I doubt even the Maxis would have survived).

I was given free reign on this Jeep from the boss. I chose the MTR because of the availabilty when you're in the sticks, street manors, and off road worthyness. Second choice would have been the BFG mud. I know I'll get dogged for that. but they're pretty cheap, grip well, and can take a beating.

The Creepys are TOUGH. I've seen them grip pretty well, but you've run them both so I'll have to defer to your wisdom. :D

I've not had sidewall issues with the MTRs I've run (2 sets). Did you only have trouble with them in Delta or did you lose a few elsewhere? I'm in NO way comparing the MTR sidewall to the Creepy. The Creepy will win every time, I'm sure.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
The 37" creepy's I ran were waaay stickier than the 37" mtr's I ran, waaaay tougher, and a full inch taller.

I loved em.

Cody

mwmx54

extremely poor street life(37's 2000 miles, completely bald) i couldnt get 'em to hook up all that well anywhere. but you cant beat how tough they are.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
but dude, you ran them at like 12 psi or something rediculous like that. Does any tire hook up at that psi? I guess, does any heavy duty bias tire even start to bulge at 12 psi?

Bart

In BCs case, I'm thinking the Creepys are one of the original sets used. I also think they've hardened a bit. I know the new Creepys are softer (yes, the DOT ones), thus the fast wear on them.

BTW, I don't think there's a tire made that hooks up better than the comp compound Creepys. They are like glue on rock.

camicaztoy

thanks for the opinions so far, keep them coming. just for comparison sake i am running the claws and i absolutely love them. they have never left me stranded. also this truck only sees a few hundred street miles a year.
also were is the best place to buy some. maxxis websight is the most exspensive i have found so far.

ALF

SURE!?
but dude, you ran them at like 12 psi or something rediculous like that. Does any tire hook up at that psi? I guess, does any heavy duty bias tire even start to bulge at 12 psi?

what is everyone airing the Creepys down to I aired down to 10 and they didn't bulge at all

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I ran them usually around 5-6 up front and 3-4 in back. I probably could have gone lower but they were pretty sticky at that PSI...lets just say that in the 2 trips I ran with stock 44 shafts after going from 37" MTR to 37" CC I broke 5 shafts, 3 joints, and 4 hubs on the front. I had no choice but to put alloys in because of how much more traction I got. Plus, once they started getting broken in, I wasn't going through 1 every other trail ride like I was the MTR's.

I wonder if the Got Rocks guys have the video of the 8" long hole I tore in the MTR during their BFG promo run? I thought for sure I would see that as an advertisement somewhere on why not to run MTR's over Krawlers. I think I may have the MTR that my trailer put a hole in in my back yard still.

That all being said, if I can't get a good price on the Maxxis Big Horn's for my other rig, i'll most likely run MTR's. Good for the money--especially for a rig that sees lots of street miles.

Cody

kobyhud

Lurker
I am running 5-6 psi in the front an 4-5 in the rear on 38x14.5 16 creepys. With as heavy as the rodeo is I imagine I will lose a bead eventually here.

Just to make sure... lose a bead... not tear or rip or do anything to a sidewall.... these tires are tough.

WayneXJ

grocery getter driver
I run mine at 4 lbs and have yet to lose a bead on a 10" wide rim. You could probably still drive on them with out any air at all.

cannoncrawler

TWERNT THE MORMONS!!!!!!
dude its his OPINION......yes they prolly did win all comps, but that doesn't mean we are all retarded cuz we have a different pref/experience.

I would love to run 40 inch sticky krawlers, or trepadors.....but my wallet (read wife) says that Iroks would be the bomb on my rig......And ya know what......they are a great tire for the money I spent......

that being said

LETS GO WHEELING!!!!!!!! lol lol lol