creepy crawlers

rondo

rondo
Take it easy bro, i'm not calling anyone anything. I have some but i don't yet know if they 'hook up' or not 'cause my junker jeep has been under the knife so much lately. But i would find that incredible if they don't work off-road. i'm not a comp guy but that's the ultimate tire test?

Bart

The tire pressures listed here are too low for 40" Creepy Crawlers and BFGs. If I'm at or below 6 psi in my Creepy's I get a lot of front tire deflection. They will hook up fine at 7 or 8 and not get as much sidewall roll. That will equate to better turning on steep faces.

That is with 180 lbs of steel bead in each front tire.

If you're running 4 psi and no bead locks, it's only a matter of time before you will lose a bead.

ALF

SURE!?
The tire pressures listed here are too low for 40" Creepy Crawlers and BFGs. If I'm at or below 6 psi in my Creepy's I get a lot of front tire deflection. They will hook up fine at 7 or 8 and not get as much sidewall roll. That will equate to better turning on steep faces.

If you're running 4 psi and no bead locks, it's only a matter of time before you will lose a bead.

I'm running beadlocks so I guess I'll be okay:greg:

SICK99TJ

40's

I run them on my comp buggie at 9 in the front and 7 in the rear and just like Bart said they hook up a lot better at that pressure anything less and they just fold into themselves...:D that is all...

WayneXJ

grocery getter driver

Almost 2 years now without loosing a bead on mine. I've been wheeling Moab, Delta, Price, Snakes, L. Moab.....
For me it's been working out, except for the steering problems from the weight and size of the tires.

Last edited:

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
i just got a set of maxxis a few days ago, i havnt used them yet im exited to see how they do. ive gone through TONS of mtrs and ive actually been pretty happy with them, decent price, good traction, decent road wear, only complant is that they suck on ice and water (ill still use the mtrs to drive on the road) but when i put the maxxis next to the mtr, the mtr looks pretty lame. i guess we shall see how they work

ozzy702

When you say that they wear quickly, how many miles are we really talking? When I think of a DOT tire that wears quickly I think of bias Iroks. Most of the guys that I've run with are getting between 10,000 and 20,000 on a set of Iroks depending on the size of the tire and the weight to the vehicle. This is with mixed on and offroad driving. Curious how the creepy crawlers compare. They are much heavier and have a much higher load rating so I'd have to think they wear significantly better.

mwmx54

i had mine on the street for a little under 2000 miles before they where completely smooth. i did however give them a try with about 9 psi and they where a million times better!

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
i had mine on the street for a little under 2000 miles before they where completely smooth. i did however give them a try with about 9 psi and they where a million times better!

what compound were yours? Sticky or dot approved?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
what compound were yours? Sticky or dot approved?

He ran his with an uber-sh!tty alignment (from his own admission) so I'll wait to see how they work with someone that can keep their rig aligned. I don't care what tire it is, if your toe is jiggered, the tires are going to get smoked.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
He ran his with an uber-sh!tty alignment (from his own admission) so I'll wait to see how they work with someone that can keep their rig aligned. I don't care what tire it is, if your toe is jiggered, the tires are going to get smoked.

I thought that was the way it went down, just trying to be nice for a change, I also think they were the stickies. Can you believe that competetion non dot compound tires and a bad alignment can cause premature tire wear on the street:confused:

ozzy702

I thought that was the way it went down, just trying to be nice for a change, I also think they were the stickies. Can you believe that competetion non dot compound tires and a bad alignment can cause premature tire wear on the street:confused:

:D :D :D

So does anyone have any mileage estimates for these with mixed use?

mwmx54

i was the alignment guy at my old shop i worked at. it was right on. i didnt take the time to straighten out the steering wheel, but the caster camber and toe where dead on.

ozzy702

That's the mileage I'd expect out of a comp compound. I don't think Maxxis, who make awesome mnt bike tires by the way, would sell a tire to the public that got under 10,000 miles, especially with the tread depth and surface area that the creepies have. Even Iroks which are much lighter, and have less tread will go 10,000 on most wheelers.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I wouldn't waste them on a DD rig. I had them for a year and didn't notice too much wear. But it was offroad only and probably only 6 days per month.