custom 4 link

filippelli

okay so i lifted my cherokee 8 inches or so in the front and i still have my short arms with the stock uppers shocking no death wobble yet and in doing so it pulled my front axle back like 4 inches and now i need to make my long arms to put it back where it needs to be and since i just got married i am broke so i decided to make them i have been trying to figure out what to do for the upper arms i wanna use the stock mounts but i cant find anything to bolt up to the axle i was thinking of welding the rustys heavy duty axle mounts on the top but i am not the best welder in the world i have found a site that sells all the parts to make the arms they just dont have the part to make the upper arms work so any suggestions will help

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
If you do a simple radius arm, you can use all the factory axle-side mounts with no changes. A short (stock-length, but adjustable) upper control arm attached to a beefy long-arm lower works great, and is probably the easiest/cheapest way to get a decent longarm setup on the front.

filippelli

uh i can take one tomorrow cause i only got a camera phone and yeah the angles are pretty bad i had to fight the arms back in i was going to wait till i got my arms to put my coils in but i sold my other coils and the kid needed them

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
how beefy are we talking and what is the best place to get the metal for the lower arms then

I've set up a couple using the Teraflex longarm kit as a base, which is just the lower long arms. (It's designed to use the upper arms in the stock location) The material those arms are made from is 1.75" .281 DOM--I'd use at least equivalent strength tube, or stronger. It kinda depends on whether you want to use any off-the-shelf parts to start with, or fab your own from the beginning.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Hey Carl, how long are those long arms you mention?

The XJ ones are about 32" long IIRC, with adjustment from around 31"-34". I have pre-threaded lengths of tube (ready to thread joints into the ends) that are 14", 20", 24", 26", 28", and 35". Combine that with about 5" of thread on the joints, and you have arms that can cover just about any range of what you might need. :cool:

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
If you do a simple radius arm, you can use all the factory axle-side mounts with no changes. A short (stock-length, but adjustable) upper control arm attached to a beefy long-arm lower works great, and is probably the easiest/cheapest way to get a decent longarm setup on the front.

I did this last year, I bought some lower long arms from Carl and fabbed up my own brackets and attached the short arm to the new bracket and off I was. Worked great and I have been very happy with how it turned out. I just looked at some examples of brackets for a radius arm and plopped it it autocad, traced it scaled it to the size I wanted and took it to the shop, cut them out and welded them up. It was the cheapest and easiest way for me at the time.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
I've already got long arms, but have been planning to do just this for some time now. But for a D30 under something other than a Jeep. I need to make all my brackets still and finish up some other projects first.

I was wondering how long of arms you set folks up with Carl, sounds really close to what I'm doing.

filippelli

The XJ ones are about 32" long IIRC, with adjustment from around 31"-34". I have pre-threaded lengths of tube (ready to thread joints into the ends) that are 14", 20", 24", 26", 28", and 35". Combine that with about 5" of thread on the joints, and you have arms that can cover just about any range of what you might need. :cool:

i think that will work how much for the pre threaded tube i think 28"

filippelli

well here is the pics of the arms
image101gz6.jpg

Chevycrew

I would try to get it corrected quickly, it will be a fun ride when one of the maxed out components snaps. (ie: weak factory axle brackets)