Custom Rig Hauler Trailer

xjc

I give up :(
I will be building a custom trailer to tow my samurai. I haven't weighed it but it will be around 3k+ lbs loaded with mods and gear. Problem comes from the fact that I have a 98 rodeo (tow capacity of about 4500lbs) as a tow vehicle.

Plan: Build my own trailer or pay for a custom build using a single, drop axle, 6k lb axle with brakes from Hendersons (Ogden) $450 and buy the steel from Bowman and kemp (ogden)$200. I am thinking of a very simple frame out of 2x4x1/8 square tubing. No deck, just four buckets for the tires to sit in. The front tires would ride the frame rails when loading.

I am figuring $1000 for axle, steel, coupler, wire, fenders, paint and brake controler. I have priced everything out, I am fairly sure it will come in close to 1k

I believe this will be light, low to the ground (efficient), safe (brakes) and economical (low price).

Any recommendations, Ways to make it easier or cheeper, would be appreciated.

1993yj

I wouldnt want to pull something like that on only one axle. I am sure it would be fine if you had the weight distributed exactly right, but that may be hard to figure out when putting it all together with just buckets. I would at least do planks or something the entire length for the tires to drive up and allow for moving the vehicle forward or backward to distribute the weight correctly, rather than be stuck with only one spot the vehicle can sit.

xjc

That's a very good point, My thought was to have the left and right tire buckets tied together and make them adjustable front to back. The first time you use it you would make neccesary adjustments to get a correct tung weight. The adjustment might be a little complicated but it would only have to be done once. This would also make it compatable with other vehicles of a similar width.

After all, everyone should "tune" their trailer to keep the weight right, I would only have to do it once.

1993yj

You would only have to tune it once assuming it would only ever be used for that one rig, and assuming that rig always stayed the same weight. Mine seems to change rather frequently as I add more things or cut away more body. Also, once you get a trailer, many people will be wanting to borrow it. Having it set just specifically for your rig may be a good enough excuse not to loan it out though.

Roktoys84

Bump it
I wouldnt want to pull something like that on only one axle. I am sure it would be fine if you had the weight distributed exactly right, but that may be hard to figure out when putting it all together with just buckets. I would at least do planks or something the entire length for the tires to drive up and allow for moving the vehicle forward or backward to distribute the weight correctly, rather than be stuck with only one spot the vehicle can sit.

I wouldn't feel comfortable towing a rig with only one axle either. Just my .02

crawler12

Just an Idea but if you look at trail gear Chris Gieger did a zuk build up and it shows the trailer he uses it looks quite light and safe to tow. But you definitely don't want to have only one axle it would sway all over the place.

offroaddave

It's just one term!
Plus just keep your eyes on the look out,
My bro just found a 1990-1995 16FT tandem Big Tex on ksl for $950.00
He'd been looking for a few mos, but it would prolly take a while to get yours built.
One plus with a single axle, if it's less than sixteen ft i don't think you have to licence it.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I know Hickey has bought this idea up before... if you're stuck on the single axle idea, why not run something like 14 Bolt hubs and dual rear tires. You still have to deal with balancing the load, but you'd have 4 tires in case one blew out. Blow outs are a fact of life when trailering, you better prepare for it rather than hope it doesn't happen to you when at this stage.

xjc

Everyone seems affraid of a blow out. Single axle trailers are used all the time with 3500 lb axles. A samurai only weighs 2500 lbs with reasonable amount of gear and bumpers.

Has anyone had a tire blow on their single axle trailer towing a higher profile load?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
.......... A samurai only weighs 2500 lbs with reasonable amount of gear and bumpers. ........

Is that an actual scale weight? My junk ALWAYS weighs mucho more than I think it should, despite what the mfg. published curb weight is.

Oh, and I've got a 5 on 4.5" axle with brakes that needs a good home. It's not super wide, but might work for what you're doing.

Blowouts are just one issue. You have to plan for the worst emergency condition you are likely to run into or you will eventually be sorry. Other examples from experience: Being sucked in - passed by a close semi going 30-40mph faster than you. Coming down a grade where the trailer brakes fade and a hole or something starts a wobble. Stomping on the brakes after getting cut off by a soccer mom/rice rocket trying to make his/her exit.

These things are always fun to talk about long after they happen, but if it gets to where you dread every semi approaching or every time you have to clamp on the brakes hard, then it just isn't fun anymore.

I ascribe to the overkill approach to most things, so take it for what it is worth. Maybe its just me, but every time I've tried to build something 'just good enough', it never seems to be.

xjc

No, I haven't weighed it but the FSM says something like 2024 lbs curb weight. I don't know if that includes fuel and lube or not. I have big tires and bumpers, track bar etc... but on the other hand I don't have much in the way of exhaust and most of the interior is gone, oh and that stupid wind shield boat anchor, who cam up with that wast of time :greg:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
No, I haven't weighed it but the FSM says something like 2024 lbs curb weight. I don't know if that includes fuel and lube or not. I have big tires and bumpers, track bar etc... but on the other hand I don't have much in the way of exhaust and most of the interior is gone, oh and that stupid wind shield boat anchor, who cam up with that wast of time :greg:

I've used the Flying J scales at 21st South and about 9th West before. They're $7 or something, though. Well worth it to know how heavy my Stuper Duty is (7700 lbs).

If someone knows of some scales in south Davis county, I'd love to hear about it. I've got a new trailer and haven't ever weighed my 'Jeep', but would like to know what I'm dragging around.

Meat_

Banned
Everyone seems affraid of a blow out. Single axle trailers are used all the time with 3500 lb axles. A samurai only weighs 2500 lbs with reasonable amount of gear and bumpers.

Has anyone had a tire blow on their single axle trailer towing a higher profile load?
You seem afraid to have two axles.

There's a reason that most trailers have at least two axles.

Meat_

Banned
...I've got a new trailer and haven't ever weighed my 'Jeep', but would like to know what I'm dragging around.

Next time you go to Moab stop at the Flamin J truck stop they have a scale that will tell you the weight of each axle (and the fuel is cheaper there anyway). But I guess the other Flamin J prolly has that as well.

xjc

You seem afraid to have two axles.

There's a reason that most trailers have at least two axles.

Two costs more and takes more time to build which is fine if it has significantly nore value but 7k gross weight trailer to haul a samurai is like putting mog axles under a samuri. I guess i could look into two 2k axles. I don't know if I have ever seen it done though.

xjc

I've used the Flying J scales at 21st South and about 9th West before. They're $7 or something, though. Well worth it to know how heavy my Stuper Duty is (7700 lbs).

If someone knows of some scales in south Davis county, I'd love to hear about it. I've got a new trailer and haven't ever weighed my 'Jeep', but would like to know what I'm dragging around.

I have been told the pilot station on 12th in ogden will weigh you for free but I don't know if it's true, they might charge.

Meat_

Banned
Trailers have a funny way of getting used for more than what you built them for. It's obvious you are set on the idea though so have fun.

A single axle trailer can be built to have better manners and be safer (although still no where near as safe as a tandem) by putting the axle farther back than most people do, like about the same place the back axle would be in a tandem. The down side to this is that it makes more tongue weight so you need more truck to pull it with, but then again you really should have a good sized truck to make a single axle trailer behave it's self anyway.

1993yj

A blowout on a single axle trailer was actually at the bottom of my list of worries. At the top of the list is fish-tailing, which can be caused by many things (weight distribution, hard braking, taking corners too fast, etc. etc. etc.) and fish-tailing always happens easier on a single axle trailer. Do what you want, but if I see a single axle trailer hauling a car or something big, I am going to stay the hell away from it.