CV Binding Up?

ttora4runner

Changed out the inner tie rods last night and some how in the process managed to screw up the drivers side outer tie rod so that got replaced too. I was a little apprehensive about doing it at first but it was a lot easier that I thought. Just a bit of pain getting the inners off.

Old inner tie rods (the one on the left is the passenger side and the one on the right is the drivers side)

ttora4runner

Wasn't able to track it down. A couple of folks over on Toyota-4runner.org mentioned that they had some small leaks as well with the rack guide been worn, letting oil though. Even though my 4runner has the newer style guide (style changed in 01) I went ahead and ordered another one to swap out. It'll be here later this week. I'll just be watching to see if it comes back.

ttora4runner

Didn't order a rack.

The rack guide is behind the large nut in this photo.

IMG_0033.jpg

(not my photo, photo from yukonrider on Toyota-4runner.org)

ttora4runner

So I was completely wrong. Took it in to have it looked at and come to find out the bushings in the rear lower links where trashed causing metal on metal contact. The shop changed the bushings out and the clunk is gone. The 4runner actually handles better now and didn't make a single sound while wheeling the Little Sahara Sand Dunes.

I never would've thought to check the rear links since it sounded like it was coming from the front and I could feel it in the foot well.

sixstringsteve

I meant to go say hi and introduce myself to you today, but I got sand fever and got distracted. Great looking rig.