Cylinder Heads pulled, now what?

HAVOC

I had of the symptoms of a blown head gasket after a ruptured coolant hose stranded me outside of Wendover. Despite my lack of mechanical experience I have finally removed both Cylinder heads. Overall they both look suprisinging good. I would have to guess that the gaskets were both still intact. Where does that leave me? a crack maybe? I'm going to have them both cleaned up and checked by a shop as soon as I can get ahold of a guy I trust to recommend one.

The symptoms I had:
1) bubbles from radiator when running with radiator cap removed.
2) clattering sound when running usually when accelerating.
3) There seemed to be something in the oil when I drained it. I'm not sure if it was coolant or not. Would it be obvious?
4) Wendover mechanic who told me "you have a blown head gasket"

Could it be something else?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Originally posted by HAVOC
I had of the symptoms of a blown head gasket after a ruptured coolant hose stranded me outside of Wendover. Despite my lack of mechanical experience I have finally removed both Cylinder heads. Overall they both look suprisinging good. I would have to guess that the gaskets were both still intact. Where does that leave me? a crack maybe? I'm going to have them both cleaned up and checked by a shop as soon as I can get ahold of a guy I trust to recommend one.

The symptoms I had:
1) bubbles from radiator when running with radiator cap removed.
2) clattering sound when running usually when accelerating.
3) There seemed to be something in the oil when I drained it. I'm not sure if it was coolant or not. Would it be obvious?
4) Wendover mechanic who told me "you have a blown head gasket"

Could it be something else?

bubbles from radiator when running with radiator cap removed,, This means nothing

clattering sound when running usually when accelerating.
Could be that the valves are in need of adjusting or Rod knock.

There seemed to be something in the oil when I drained it. I'm not sure if it was coolant or not. Would it be obvious?
Milky Oil

Wendover mechanic who told me "you have a blown head gasket"
Were any of you cylindars wet? Rusty looking? Sign of water?

Why were you stranded? What were the symptoms? Did some water get into you Carb when the hose blew?

HAVOC

Originally posted by Shawn

bubbles from radiator when running with radiator cap removed,, This means nothing

This was the main sign that the Wendover mechanic based his diagnosis on. The bubbles were strong enough to shoot coolant 6 inches into the air... Seemed not normal to me (the mechanic and the bubbles) So I confirmed somewhere else that it was an indicator for a blown head gasket. I can't remember where I read it now.

clattering sound when running usually when accelerating.
Could be that the valves are in need of adjusting or Rod knock.

Would having the Cylinder heads examined at a shop confirm this? Could this be caused by overheating?

There seemed to be something in the oil when I drained it. I'm not sure if it was coolant or not. Would it be obvious?
Milky Oil

If there was anything in the oil, there wasn't enough to change the overall color and consistency. There did seem to be a very little bit of discoloring in the oil and some kind of corrosion on the drain plug. It reminded me of rust, but not quite. It wasn't there when I changed the oil a few weeks before the incident.

Were any of you cylindars wet? Rusty looking? Sign of water?

I didn't pull the engine block drain plug (someone told me it wasn't worth the bother), so when I removed the head a lot of coolant poured out. I don't know if they were wet before that or not. They all seem very clean to me, no discolor or rust that I can remember. I will look at them again.

Why were you stranded? What were the symptoms? Did some water get into you Carb when the hose blew?

I had already been struggling with overheating. I had a small leak around the thermostat housing and had put three gallons of water into it to try to make it to Wendover. After adding the last of the water I carried I stopped and let it cool and then tried to make it the last 15 miles to Wendover. It ran okay (good temperature) for about 4 miles and then the temperature gauge jumped from around normal to pegged in about three seconds. The clattering started before I could get it off of the road. I checked it out again and didn't see the thumb size hole that (I'm guessing) caused the temp to jump so quickly. I let it cool for another hour and decided to try to make the last 10 miles. It made the clattering sound when I accelerated, so I decided not to risk any further damage and called roadside assistance. They towed it to Wendover where the mechanic found and fixed both leaks, filled it with coolant and then had me start it up. He kept the radiator cap off and saw that it was spitting coolant and told me it was a blown head gasket. So I had it towed back home.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Blowing 6" in the air:eek: Ya,, I'd say your getting some compression in there.

My guess is because your were running it so hot you might have warped a head.

I would take them in and let them know what has happened, they can resurface that head easy and do a rebuilt.

I have been having all my machine work done at C&T Machine. They are located by you in Orem.

226-0827 Rod is the Man:)

Shawn

HAVOC

Just an update...

I went to C&T. They were recommended by another guy I know as well. Very good to work with. Unforetunatly both Heads are cracked. Looks like I'll be driving the wife's Jeep for another month or two while I save up the $.

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
First of all, if you had a cylinder head gasket problem it will be immediately evident. This is because coolant will clean the carbon right of the top of your pistons. Do you have any super clean pistons? IF SO you had a coolant leak into the cylinder. It is a very good sign of a compression leak when you have air in the radiator. This can be tested with a block tester. IT looks for emissions in the coolant. hope this helps. BBOWSKI82