D-44 Axle Shaft (HELP)

Rock Hound!

ROK JNKY
If anybody out there has a D-44 driver side axle shaft for sale please let me know ASAP. I run a 99TJ, I was on my way down to Rattle Snake Saturday with a big group of guys, and I had a bearing meltdown. Just before 3300 on I-15 going south 70mph my tire and axle shot out down the highway. This is my daily driver and a very bad time of year for the expence that I am looking at. Thanks for any help.:sick:

Rock Hound!

ROK JNKY
It is the rear axle, stock I believe. It is a 99TJ Sport, non C-clip. I measured the length, It is 29 1/4" from the end to the outside edge where the studs stick out. I have had no luck so far, Orem was a no go and Tera-flex. The cheapest for a new one so far is $170.00 just for the shaft.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
It is the rear axle, stock I believe. It is a 99TJ Sport, non C-clip. I measured the length, It is 29 1/4" from the end to the outside edge where the studs stick out. I have had no luck so far, Orem was a no go and Tera-flex. The cheapest for a new one so far is $170.00 just for the shaft.

A passenger side will work, just cut about .5" inch off of it first. I have the passenger side, used, and you can have it for packing it off. I also have some set 10 kits, but those will cost ya! ;) I'll even press the bearing on the axle for ya... Only problem, is I won't be back in town until Saturday evening.

If you want aftermarket, I can get you some CroMo's for not too much more than that $170.. PM me if your interested in those prices.

The reason the newer axles are burning up wheel bearings is because they are poorly lubed. Next time you have your diff cover off, look at the carrier bearings/housing. Currently it is required for all oil and air to seep through the bearing. What happens is air gets trapped and won't allow oil to move, or vice versa. The fix is to take a die grinder and put 4 notches in the housing. Like this....Two on each side, top and bottom. Currentl if you look at your housing, there is probably only one. This will also help keep wheel seals from leaking.

axle%20021206%20002.jpg

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Also, if you have a lift and you have not replaced your diff cover with one that has a higher fill hole, you are shorting your wheel bearings with lube. Stock, the hole is perfectly positioned just at the axle tube height. So that when the housing is full, the oil is just at the bottom of the axle tube. Not too high so that there is always oil in the tubes, but just below. If there is always oil in the tubes, then there is no place for the old hot oil (and debre) to go.