D30 Carrier...

Lifelong Jeeper

Thank you everyone for the advise. It is all done and finished.

Hey I was wondering if somebody smarter than me could tell me how to remove the carrier from my D30 (98 TJ front axel)? I removed the cover and 4 bearing/carrier caps but I cannot get the carrier to drop out. Is this one of the axels that require a carrier spreading tool? If so, how does that work? I am trying to install a LockRite locker and thought it would be as easy as the rear D35, but that isn't so.

Last edited:

Lifelong Jeeper

mbryson said:
I've used a claw hammer for that. I've only pulled apart a couple of TJ fronts, but haven't had an experience where I needed more than that.

I tried the claw hammer, pry bar, even tied rope around the two end of the carrier, loosely installed the bearing caps and two of us pulled on the rope with our feet against the axel and still nothing. !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the feedback.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
scoutabout said:
Have you pulled the axle shafts out? That might be the problem.

That would definitely keep the carrier in. :rofl: (been there)

Sometimes they're just really tight. Use a bigger prybar (or two), use a winch to pull on it, another vehicle with a chain....get creative.

Lifelong Jeeper

I Lean said:
That would definitely keep the carrier in. :rofl: (been there)

Sometimes they're just really tight. Use a bigger prybar (or two), use a winch to pull on it, another vehicle with a chain....get creative.

The shafts are definitely out. That much I was sure how to do. We talked about tying the rope to a bumper and pull it out, but I didn't want to break something that I wasn't aware of. So that would work then?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Lifelong Jeeper said:
The shafts are definitely out. That much I was sure how to do. We talked about tying the rope to a bumper and pull it out, but I didn't want to break something that I wasn't aware of. So that would work then?

It should work. I'd be afraid of a rope stretching or breaking before actually pulling the carrier, but it is easier to work with than chain I guess...

Lifelong Jeeper

I Lean said:
It should work. I'd be afraid of a rope stretching or breaking before actually pulling the carrier, but it is easier to work with than chain I guess...

I have some 5,000 lb climbing strap that should do the trick. If not...:confused: :eek: :mad:

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
It's going to be tight...

Take a crow bar and a block of wood. Put the crow bar on the ring gear bolts with the block of wood on the housing and push.

Now I have a dumb question... Why would you pull the carrier out to put in a lunch box style locker?

RockCrushinToy

get a big pry bar and dont be scared to pry!
and make sure you have someone to put their hands over the carrier to catch it when it comes loose so it doesnt hit the floor!

Lifelong Jeeper

waynehartwig said:
It's going to be tight...

Take a crow bar and a block of wood. Put the crow bar on the ring gear bolts with the block of wood on the housing and push.

Now I have a dumb question... Why would you pull the carrier out to put in a lunch box style locker?

Thanks for the advise. It all worked and is put back together. The reason I had to pull the carrier is because the ring gear was thick enough that the center pinion pin on the spyder gears wouldn't clear the teeth on the ring gear. I thought it would be as easy as the rear axel, but it wasn't. Now I can't wait to try it out.

Thanks again.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Lifelong Jeeper said:
Thanks for the advise. It all worked and is put back together. The reason I had to pull the carrier is because the ring gear was thick enough that the center pinion pin on the spyder gears wouldn't clear the teeth on the ring gear. I thought it would be as easy as the rear axel, but it wasn't. Now I can't wait to try it out.

Thanks again.
So what did you do, take the ring gear off? There is an easier way... ;) Put the gear on, and grind away part of the teeth (on one side) until the pin fits. Just be careful not to get the gear hot. ...Do a little bit at a time. What ever you do, don't modify the cross pin. Modifying the gear is a much stronger method - and even easier.

Lifelong Jeeper

waynehartwig said:
So what did you do, take the ring gear off? There is an easier way... ;) Put the gear on, and grind away part of the teeth (on one side) until the pin fits. Just be careful not to get the gear hot. ...Do a little bit at a time. What ever you do, don't modify the cross pin. Modifying the gear is a much stronger method - and even easier.

That is what I did. I figured the inner tooth doesn't have as much torque on it and it shouldn't hurt it to be shaved down a bit. I spoke to Dennis at Terra Flex Plus yesterday and he gave me the idea. It was kind of a pain getting the grinder wheel in there at the correct angle, but it worked fine. I only had to take off about 1/8" off one tooth (and only about 1/2 of the tooth length) and skimmed another and the pin slipped right on out.

I didn't know how coshure this process was and didn't want to say anything so that somebody didn't follow my advise and screw their rig up. It worked great though and really saved a lot of time and effort. I only had to tighten things back up after originally trying to take the carrier out. After grinding it, the locker was in about 20 min later and I was putting everything back together.

Thanks again.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Lifelong Jeeper said:
That is what I did. I figured the inner tooth doesn't have as much torque on it and it shouldn't hurt it to be shaved down a bit. I spoke to Dennis at Terra Flex Plus yesterday and he gave me the idea. It was kind of a pain getting the grinder wheel in there at the correct angle, but it worked fine. I only had to take off about 1/8" off one tooth (and only about 1/2 of the tooth length) and skimmed another and the pin slipped right on out.

I didn't know how coshure this process was and didn't want to say anything so that somebody didn't follow my advise and screw their rig up. It worked great though and really saved a lot of time and effort. I only had to tighten things back up after originally trying to take the carrier out. After grinding it, the locker was in about 20 min later and I was putting everything back together.

Thanks again.

That's a common thing to do on axles that require the crosspin to be removed often. (like a C-clip axle, you have to remove the crosspin to get the shafts out) No big deal at all.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I Lean said:
That's a common thing to do on axles that require the crosspin to be removed often. (like a C-clip axle, you have to remove the crosspin to get the shafts out) No big deal at all.
Exactly, no big deal at all. In order for it to be a big deal, you would need to be on that exact spot at the time you put a ton of stress on the gear. But even then, you have about 3 teeth sitting under your pinion. So about the only way to mess it up would be to get the gear too hot. Otherwise have fun with your locker! :D

Lifelong Jeeper

skippy said:
I have an idea get rid of the 30 just givin ya a hard time t

That is the plan. I have my rear D60 already and am looking for a front. As soon as I have both I will put it under the Jeep and be set. It is just a big expense from now to then since I still have to buy F&R ring and pinions, F&R Lockers, 37" tires/wheels, More lift, etc. I want to be able to wheel fully locked before I can do everything that I really want to do so I compromised a bit.

Don't worry, I deserve the hard time.-_-