d30 high steer

4x4phil

Did a spring over and used a drop pitman that clears fine, but I've got a lot of bump steer. It's a 92 yj. Is there a company that makes a nuckle that keeps the drag link low but allows a high steer? I know I'm gonna get some people that tell me to change out my axle, but I don't have the money for that at the moment so I'll have to make due. I've found complete high steer nuckles for both sides. I'd like to find a cheeper alternative so I'm not investing too much into that axle.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
4x4phil said:
Did a spring over and used a drop pitman that clears fine, but I've got a lot of bump steer. It's a 92 yj. Is there a company that makes a nuckle that keeps the drag link low but allows a high steer? I know I'm gonna get some people that tell me to change out my axle, but I don't have the money for that at the moment so I'll have to make due. I've found complete high steer nuckles for both sides. I'd like to find a cheeper alternative so I'm not investing too much into that axle.
yep, I think the company is called MORE.

4x4phil

Badger, I don't still have a track bar.... I know, I know, I just haven't built a taller bracket yet. I towed it down to moab cause it scares the hell out of me at high speeds. I'm pretty sure it's the angle on my tie rod. My jeep turns right when I hit bumps and I feel the movement in my steering wheel. I just need it (the tie rod) to be level, to avoid the push effect in my steering.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
well that link that was pointed to earlier also has the taller trackbar mount

03.jpg

4x4phil

Yea, I saw that, and a couple other things i'd like to buy. It's one of those things that keeps me awake at night. "Should I buy the bolt on kit, or save the money and try to build something, but that'll take more time and time is money, but do I really want a bolt on kit or should I weld something up that's stronger, but maybe I could weld the one I buy instead of bolt it, but if I'm gonna weld I may as well save my money and build it, but then again time is money....." and so on. I'm sure I'm not the only one that does this. When your girl's in bed with you and she asks,"Baby what are you thinking about?" And you say your jeep, it tends to piss them off. Then you end up mending a relationship instead of concentrating on what's really important... your jeep.

TimB

Homesick
I have a 1991 and I used the knuckle that Terra sells. It's pricey and you will have to mod it to get your turning radius correct. The way they sell it the arm the drag link hooks to is too long. Other than that, works excellent.
Here's a couple pics of the mods. You may notice I do not run a track bar, and no dampner. Drives down the road like a dream.

Drilled and tapered the hole closer to the length it was stock. I actually tapered this from the top - the end is on top of the arm now.
New%20Hole%20in%20arm.jpg

This is pre-mod.
Knuckle%20from%20front.jpg

I don't have a post mod shot - I can't beleive it, I take pictures of everything!:eek: :ugh: :rolleyes:

TimB

Homesick
Note I used "1 ton" chevy ends - I'm not fond of heims in steering so that's why I went this route. I wanted to flip the tie rod ends but the rod hits the springs - I have a lot of castor so that probably contributed to the problem. I have about 9 degrees - I estimate about 3 degrees too much. I can get the tires to tuck when they get almost to lock in a parking lot and have to pull them back a little before they spin back on thier own. I've never experienced that in normal driving or off road though. I've run this front SOA for about 10 years now.

4x4phil

Looks good Tim. I must have missed that on the tera site. I'll have to check again. Thanks for the info. You remember how much it cost? Will it clear a stock rim? Looks like it might be close.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
4x4phil said:
Looks good Tim. I must have missed that on the tera site. I'll have to check again. Thanks for the info. You remember how much it cost? Will it clear a stock rim? Looks like it might be close.
It is a nice knuckle assy... I bought the setup from Badger and put it on my TJ. The drag link/tie rod end sucks, but the knuckle is really nice. You can also ream the hole and flip the drag link to help get everything lined up right.

TimB

Homesick
I think these guys are pretty close to you.
http://www.teraflexplus.com/pages/store.htm

If I remember right it was about $380. I was really a little ticked off that I had to mod it after paying that much, but I'm over it now. Miles of good driving healed it over I guess. The tires are 35 x 12.50 x 15 MT/R's on 10 x 15 Ultra rims - 3.75" backspacing. The tire is really close to the big tie rod ends - no room for me to stick a finger in there. I don't think there is any way this would work with stock rims.