d30 in bronco2?

redneckbronco

Has any one on here done this or know someone that has? I found a d30 for cheaper than what i can get a d35ttb, and would like to go sas with it but not sure what to do with the steering portion of it as to what parts ill need or how much fab work ill havta do? Ne suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

broncomitch

dont be a sheep in a jeep
i would hold out for a dana44, you would be making a upgrade with the dana30..but not much. i would just hold that money toward a dana44. think i saw one on KSL i know there is a EB frame with axles and supposedly a 5.5'' lift (looks like a 2.5'' to me) but its $500 with the dana44 and 9inch

your going to need stock bronco radius arms,(maybe the stock EB brackets cus the EB radius arms are longer then the stock broncoII arms),track bar,make a track bar bracket on the frame,brake lines,front drive line,shocks i think, different front rims,
not sure on the steering. i made a full size bronco steering set up work with a scout box and a EB pitman arm, cant see it being any harder then that. and it was easy.

Last edited:

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
How much fabwork are you able and willing to do. No way to bolt in a 30 easily. Yes a 44 is stronger. No the 30 isn't any stronger than the TTB D35. The advantage to the 30 is doing away with the TTB steering.

I was planning to do the D30 swap on my 90 Ranger, but have decided to hold off a while longer. I have some good info if you are interested...

redneckbronco

yea ive checked the rangerstation but no one has a clear writeup on it and no one has a straight answer as to what needs to be done. Phatfoto im interested in any info you have, im not a great fab guy but have friends that can help......i think

redneckbronco

Well bcuz its a family thing were not hardcore rockcrawlers but do enjoy the rocks from time to time, mostly we do trails and the occasional mud when we can find it, but wanna be able to go to moab with it and be able to have fun without worries. This is also my dd, so must be dependable and safe.

rondo

rondo
i've seen two breaks in bronco IIs. One was playing in a little snow and wiped out the hub and shaft. the other was in a wash, turning left downhill, same thing. both on stock tires. to me that means ttb=junk.
I suggest you find a pair of axles to swap in. I've had great luck with rear isuzu dana 44s that come with disk brakes. Easy to upgrade with gears, lockers etc. I've found them as cheap as $150. For front i'd go with a waggy dana 44 which is about the right width (probably wider than the rear but it's completely ok). I personally wouldn't pay more than 100$ for a front unless it has some cool upgrades.
After you do the SAS, put in new gears, maybe lockers, new hubs it'll probably run you more $ than the whole bronco would cost though. i've done SAS on a yota, two nissans, and 2x on YJs and it's never really cheap. However with that said you'd have great axles that you don't have to worry much about, if at all.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Rondo lives!!! There are very rabid TTB owners. What you probably saw were D28s with 260 U joints. I understand this is what he wants to get away from. And I don't blame him. However, the later TTB Rangers and early Explorers have the D35 in the TTB and 297 joints. MUCH stronger than the D28 stuff.

I am giving some very serious thought into a D44 upgrade for the TTB, but am in no rush. I wantt o mess with the TTB a bit before going ahead with my own D30 swap. Main reason I want to get rid of the TTB is the camber and toe changes when in rough terrain.

redneckbronco

Well im beginning to think that maybe the best bet is to wait and find an exploder, and take the d35ttb out of it and to all the tricks to it and then get the 8.8 from it, and be done with it.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I've got an '89 B2 sitting around the house with a whole bunch of 2.8l parts laying around as well if you need any stock parts.

redneckbronco

I need a transmission xmember po cut it up and then ghetto rigged it to work and its not working so well. if you got one of those would be kuool as my says

BlackBII

The dana 35 TTB is a bolt in swap, (Save for the driveshaft needs to be shortened, or you can pick up one from a truck with a 35) and is stronger than the dana 30.

The 35 can be built to be very durable, it already has the same ujoints as a 44, and with 44 outers, you eliminate the weak hubs.

I have some Dana 35 beams you can have, you will need a new pumpkin though.

cheepin

I would look for a D44 front and 9" rear combo out of an EB.Take all of the front suspension including the radius arms and frame bracket and trac bar.Swap it over to the newer one.I would think you could use your spring buckets on the frame and bolt/weld the older stuff on.
You could even do this with a F150 donor(easier to find and cheaper),but you don't want fullwidth.You could narrrow them though.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
I think we all would love the EB 44 and such, but have you priced those things lately?

Yes, the D35 is bolt in and relatively simple to do...