D35 Rear has gone Nuclear!!!!

CryogenicZJ

I used to drive a ZJ
Well guys........I don't know what to say or how to feel yet. Yesterday morning I left Pleasant Grove at 4AM to go to Glenwood Springs, Colorado to tow a Grand Am back to rebuild and then sell........I got within 3 miles of my destination and the rearend gave out, sending gears and bearings down the highway behind me.......it was so hot, it ignited the gear oil catching the rearend housing and my fuel lines on fire....it then spread to the floor boards and the rear seat......the fuel filter next to the tank is non-existent!!! It was seconds from becoming a rocket from the tank lighting off when I finally got it put out with some snow and a fire extinquisher...........My ZJ is TOAST!!! I'll post pictures of the interior and rearend later tonite.........GSW will not happen for me this year:mad:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
freak accident, but the right combo of heat and then fuel(90 weight) happens all the time. Just this week I saw a semi trailer on fire because the driver got the brake too hot. They get hot, catch fire, then catch the tires, then you get out the marshmallows. The fire had just caught to the tires when I passed and the cops were already there. they had already unhooked the tractor from it and were just watchin the show.

CryogenicZJ

I used to drive a ZJ
Originally posted by crimsonride
Man, wasn't your 35 boiling and overheating already?
A couple of weeks ago I was driving down the highway for a short period of time, and yes, when I got it home.......there was a little smoke........I found the breather tube was clogged, so I did a little work on it and it was fine.......it had been fine for the last two weeks.........I had no other option but to use my ZJ to go and get this other car and get it back. I was a little nervous because of the problem last week. But I told myself, nothing is going to happen because I changed out all the oil and fixed that breather!! Guess I was wrong..............I've been in a daze for 2 days now........This doesn't feel reall.......and driving around in a darn rental CAR isn't right either!!! My ZJ goes up in flames and I get a CAR to drive!!!!:confused:

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by CryogenicZJ
and yes...........I will buy it back!!! OHV is what it's called now:D

so you think it is generally totalled then?

sounds like you need to have a sit down with grocerygetter...:)

CryogenicZJ

I used to drive a ZJ
Darn pictures of the rear diff didn't turn out very well......the interior damage is limited to just the carpet burning off the back seat. The leather is still ok, and also all of the chemical fire extinguisher that has covered everything with a yellow blanket of dust!!!! The rear end housing is TOAST!!! My fuel filter doesn't exist. The fuel sending unit wiring is gone, my fuel lines are gone, my brake lines are toasty, my rear shock boots are gone meaning my shocks are probably toast..........it won't take much to get it going again, I'm just having troubles with the insurance company with getting it home from colorado so that I can get it fixed!!!! Here are some pictures...Diff Interior1 Interior2

CryogenicZJ

I used to drive a ZJ
Tires were identical........here's what happened. I was rear-ended in Orem last month. It got hit so hard it tweeked my factory hitch, bent the lower control arms, and destroyed my rear shocks. In the process, I think it tweaked the rearend enough that it did something to the seals and bearings......driving around town, short runs here and there, didn't seem to bother it. As soon as I would get on the highway.......different story!!! I made it 300 miles when it blew.....the insurance company WILL pay!!!!