D35 Rear

CryogenicZJ

I used to drive a ZJ
I drove about 65 miles at around 75MPH just now and the oil in my rear diff not only boiled, but is smoking also........I pulled my rubber fill plug to check the oil level and it was boiling out!!! What's the problem now??? I already know that it's a POS......it's a D35!!!!! I just need to make it work for another month or so. Any suggestions??

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I would say something is not set up right if you just got new gears...and you probably got them installed at 4-wheel parts too.....crying shame:mad:

if not, then you probably have bearings going bad, how many miles are on the vehicle?

CryogenicZJ

I used to drive a ZJ
Originally posted by spencurai
I would say something is not set up right if you just got new gears...and you probably got them installed at 4-wheel parts too.....crying shame:mad:

if not, then you probably have bearings going bad, how many miles are on the vehicle?
They aren't new........I have 148k on the ZJ! It's been fine. I just had the fluid changed out at Jiffy Lube about 3000 miles ago. Could it be the 33s with stock gears and the new lift?? I haven't a clue here. If the rearend goes I'm up a Creak, with no paddle!! I do need new gears.......but I would never go to 4 wheel parts......not with so many people around here to go to;)

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
it just sound like your rear diff is toast...bearings will contribute to increased friction which equals more heat. the extra play in worn bearings changes your contact patch between your ring and pinion changing several different things causing more heat....things are about to go nuclear so it is time to visit ANDY at six states....:)

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I know that six-states has 6-month warranties on new gear installs...I don't know about anyone else...except 4Wheel parts with their 0-month warranty....

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Originally posted by CryogenicZJ
OK Suka.....you have my attention.......what about a front and rear package deal?? I'll need to go with bigger gears to accomodate my 33s........

You mean lower:D

Suka probably has the best deal....I can't get you gears and install kits for that price.

S

sukaB

The best and cheapest thing for you to do is get another carrier and gear setup used out of something else for know to hold you over.....
I sell whole diffs for 85 bucks complete.

Now if you want gears and and such then yes.
150 is my install price per end and I'll stand behind the setup.
plus rebuild and gears but i'll get you the best deal of all for sure.

CryogenicZJ

I used to drive a ZJ
these diffs.....are they just used out of something else......or are they rebuilds?? and clarify with me......are these the diff gears.......or the housings too. I'm still a newbie with all of this. I'm sure I can install the gears.......I just need to get some!!! Thanks for all your help. I will be needing these soon!!! To hold me over for now......I guess I could use some stock ones......tell me what I need. I'll get the diff from you ASAP!!

Last edited:

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
if you want your gears done right...NEVER do them yourself. There is a lot of finesse and compund experience involved in getting them just right. Especially if it is your daily driver!! Have someone with experience do them. I know Andy at six states has the most experience and the best track record but I also know everyone else has experience and can set them up.

just don't risk DIY, there are too many trashed gears attributed to DIY setup guys.

CryogenicZJ

I used to drive a ZJ
Where is Six states located though........I live in Pleasant Grove. I can't be driving this thing very far the way it is. And I don't have a lot of money. This going down is happening at the worst time imaginable!!!