D60 kingpin upper seal

1993yj

Just installed a pair of Solid knuckles and using the Reid bronze bushings. Once I tightened down on the pre-load bolt, it raised the knuckle up above where the upper kingpin seal will do anything. Anyone seen this before and have some insight?
D60 upper kingpin seal.jpg

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Put a nylon bushing in and see if the same thing happens. I am interested because I have a set of the bronze bushings I am going to use in my build. I don't think the bronze has anything to do with it because that gap is dependent on what happens at the bottom bearing not the top kingpin If I am thinking right. Could your inner C be bent?

1993yj

It's not the C bent, it's the exact same gap on both sides and the stock knuckles didn't do this (or at least I didn't notice it). I thought about trying a nylon bushing since I haven't done that with these knuckles. Before I installed everything I compared the bronze and nylon bushings and they appeared to be the exact same dimensions. I emailed Matt at Solid to see what he says before I take them apart again.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
It has to be a problem with the knuckles, Cs, lower bearings, or lower breading caps. The bronze upper bushings should not have anything to do with the knuckle being able to be pulled up away from the C like that.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
A quick search revealed that Fords used a different "taller seal than chevy and Dodge from 85 to 91. Maybe this is what is going on?

1993yj

Thanks. That could be it. It's a 78 Ford axle with Chevy knuckles. I will look into that more.

Update: looks like the Ford 85-91.5 seal is 0.1" taller. Going to order some of those and give them a shot, although I am still not sure why I have this issue when supposedly my axle is out of a '78 dually, and I didn't need the taller seal with stock Chevy knuckles.
D60 KP upper seals.jpg

Last edited: