D60 Knuckle Options

1993yj

I sheared the studs holding my high steer arm to my passenger side knuckle coming down Chewy Hill the other day. It took some creativity in bolting together two hi lift jacks to make a tie rod to get it off the trail.
2015-05-24 16.28.55.jpg2015-05-24 16.42.32.jpg2015-05-24 18.02.38.jpg2015-05-24 18.02.49.jpg

It looks like one of the studs was already broken, and then the others must have loosened up and finally snapped. Looking closer at the knuckle I think I need a new one. The holes are a bit wallowed at the top, and one of the holes has a heli coil in it (assuming from a previous owner of that knuckle). Rather than just hunting down a stock one, I am thinking of going aftermarket (Chevy style). I know of Crane and Reid. Is there one that is better than the other and why? Is there another option I am not aware of? I like that the Cranes have the high steer arms and knuckles keyed, but they only sell the entire kit for almost $1,200. The Reids have the 5 bolt option and I could just do one side for the moment.

And lastly, if anyone has some for sale new or used cheaper let me know.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I am buying the Reids. I am going to run the Artec arms with the bolt that runs them double sheer using the stock tie rod holes. I would have sprung for the Cranes because of the key and they are cast from cromoly instead of iron, but the ones with the stock tiered arms are not keyed. I have not found much if any negative reviews of the Reids. I will sell you my stock knuckle if you are interested.

1993yj

Just realized Solid makes some too. They are keyed and use 6 holes for the high steer arm, plus it looks like Artec makes some arms for those that allow a double sheer mount. Anyone have experience with the Solids? Price is cheaper than the Reid's too.

Rock Taco

All Jeep is a Reid dealer. Have them give you a quote be for you make your decision. Also not sure what year your axle is but Jesse Haines makes some nice 60 high steer knuckles the withh high steer.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Just realized Solid makes some too. They are keyed and use 6 holes for the high steer arm, plus it looks like Artec makes some arms for those that allow a double sheer mount. Anyone have experience with the Solids? Price is cheaper than the Reid's too.
I liked the idea of the Solids too. What steered me away was reports of brakes and some aftermarket shafts not fitting without grinding. I also want to run the Bronze kingpin bushings and have no idea if the Solids maintain bore tolerances that would be necessary.

1993yj

I planned on PM'ing Skippy or Mesha and getting some prices. I hadnt heard anything about the Solids yet so I am going to try to find out more about those issues. I really want to run them based on pricing and the key compared to the Reids, but not if brakes and shafts wont fit. I also was planning on running the bronze bushings.

I may contact Jesse too about his knuckles.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I know it won't really help stud strength, but I plated my stock knuckles and it wouldn't be very hard to add material to support the high steer arm.
They way I plated them I can't see ever spending the money for aftermarket knuckles. They are stout now.

UFAB

Reids are like factory, really no difference in stud problems.

Solid knuckles with a keyway are an upgrade. All other knuckles like trail gear, spidertrax, currie all use a key way.

Welding a cast knuckle that is made to flex and react is not in the machinery handbook.

Last edited: