d70 rear axle questions

Too Far

parts is parts
I picked up a 70 from Damin, thanks by the way, and am planning on running it in my buggy.
BOM 603995-3
From 80-84 dodge d300-400 or w300-400
Looks like it is probably a 70b
67.5ish wmw-wms 4.56 gear with one piece open carrier 35 spline shafts that use those cone washers on the bolts.
My quick and dirty plan is to throw on some disks, weld the spiders up and shave the bottom up a little.

Any thing wrong with this plan? Seems like there is no downside to an axle like this in my clouded mind.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
i dont know how much you can shave the axle but i like the plans and the idea of making it higher ground clearance get us some pics

chadschoon

I had a 70 HD that I ran in my jeep. All I did was threw some disk brakes on it and called it good. It was a big axle but I didn't get hung up to much without shaving it. I don't know if the (B) is bigger or not though. I believe its the 70 U that has a much smoother bottom on it.

Too Far

parts is parts
I think the 70b was the regular 70. It has a lip that hangs down, and my plan it to just smooth it out so the bottom doesnt have anything to hang up on. The ring gear is pretty close to the bottom of the casting, so I cant see any reason to do a drastic chop like you would do on a 14b.
It probably is overkill for a build like mine, but peace of mind will be nice.
Thanks for your input.

Too Far

parts is parts
I have studied the jantz products quite a bit. I really like his hybrid ttb50 hp44 front axle. 50 gear set, and ttb 50 c's that allow a full 35 spline 44 front axle. Cool stuff.

If you can find a rear d70 I can't see why you would even think about running a d60 rear.