Dana 30 Eaton Elocker Review

ewander

Well, after my second test run with my new Eaton Elocker, I thought I would put up a quick review, from the user view point (vs. installation).

First off, I have driven a couple jeeps for the last 12 years with a lockrite in the front. I really haven't had any problems with the lockrite, in fact after installing the 2-low in my xfer case it has been even better. I also daily drive my XJ about 40 miles to and from work. Right now it is set up with a 7" long arm lift, 35" MTRs, detriot in the back and the new elocker in the front. I use the jeep on easy camping/mild trails and also occaisionally run Pritchett Canyon and the Rusty Nail.

With all the snow last year I decided that I needed to start looking for a selectable locker to make my snowy commutes a little less scary. I had a hard time deciding between ARBs, Ox lockers, and the Elocker. I already had a source of on-board air, so the ARB seemed to be the better choice. One of my brothers also has ARBs front and rear and they have been fairly reliable. It seems like air leaks follow him around a little though. I have another friend with ox lockers front and rear and he seems to be always adjusting the cables....and finally recently got rid of his rear ox locker and put a detroit in.

I finally decided to go with the newest dana 30 Eaton Elocker. It is pretty smooth. It locks instantly upon pushing the button and unlocks instantly also. There doesn't seem to be any time of rolling or wheel spin needed to lock up. Taking it out today I was totally impressed with it, locking and unlocking it as the trail required. I expected some issues, but had none. It's cost was comparable to the ARB or Ox, I purchased mine for $900.

As you guys know, having a front selectable locker is really nice in 4-hi on the highway with slick roads. Last week when we had the snow storm it was cool to actually be able to use four wheel drive on the commute and not worry about steering issues.

If anyone is on the fence like I was trying to decide which selectable locker to get, I highly recommend the Eaton Elocker.

Eric

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Good info Eric, thanks for sharing. Being locked front & rear in the snow is a white knuckle ride. It's nice to have the option of unlocking the front axle. :cool:

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Interesting. Are these fundamentally different than the Dana 60 versions I used in my buggy that required half a turn of wheel differentiation after you hit the button to engage the locker?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Interesting. Are these fundamentally different than the Dana 60 versions I used in my buggy that required half a turn of wheel differentiation after you hit the button to engage the locker?

Yes, they changed the internal architecture since the ones you and I had. It will still require some differentiation since it uses the ball-ramp mechanism, but it should be tightened up quite a bit compared to the old ones.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Yes, they changed the internal architecture since the ones you and I had. It will still require some differentiation since it uses the ball-ramp mechanism, but it should be tightened up quite a bit compared to the old ones.
Any stronger/weaker, or just a steeper ramp to speed up the process? I still have one of my old ones, and an extra brand-new stator. I'll probably madify it with a beefier snap ring and run it in some future project.

rholbrook

I purchased an Auburn Ected for the front of mine and have liked it as well. I have heard both good and bad with electric lockers but have had zero issues with mine. I will be putting one in the rear soon.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Any stronger/weaker, or just a steeper ramp to speed up the process? I still have one of my old ones, and an extra brand-new stator. I'll probably madify it with a beefier snap ring and run it in some future project.

I've had good luck with mine since I did that. I just treat it like an ARB. If an obstacle 'could' require it, I turn it on. If I can get through without it, I turn it off. If it turns out I want/need the locker, I activate it and keep 'crawling' until I can tell it's hit the "locked" state before doing anything stupid with the throttle.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I've had good luck with mine since I did that. I just treat it like an ARB. If an obstacle 'could' require it, I turn it on. If I can get through without it, I turn it off. If it turns out I want/need the locker, I activate it and keep 'crawling' until I can tell it's hit the "locked" state before doing anything stupid with the throttle.

I did all sorts of stupid stuff with the throttle on mine. The only problem I had was that silly weak snap ring that let the stator fall off. :rolleyes:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor

Stronger. Instead of pins engaging the side gears, they now have a toothed ring to engage the case and side gear, more like an ARB. Still moves the ring via the ball-ramp, but the dude claimed it's a 1/4 turn engagement rather than the 1/2 turn we had.

The 30, 35, 44 are that way, the 60 is still the weaker pin style for now (the one neither you or I broke). It will get the updated guts later sometime.

He wasn't sure about the stator retention, but he did say the whole thing got a complete redesign since the first batch, so I'm Ass U Me-ing that's one of the improvements.

astjp2

I just put 2 in my Dana 44's that I just installed in my wrangler, I got them from Rons Machine for 750.00 each including shipping...I hope to get to try them out next summer. Tim

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I purchased an Auburn Ected for the front of mine and have liked it as well. I have heard both good and bad with electric lockers but have had zero issues with mine. I will be putting one in the rear soon.

Not to go off topic, but I'm not a fan of the limited slip AND locker. I'm also curious if the "locker" will wear out and leave you hanging one day. Just my preference. Goes for the Eaton whatever that proceeded the E-locker also.

I like the differential or spool options of the common selectables. We can get into an ARB vs. Ox vs. Electric debate, but that's been done a few times.

Since I've modified my Eaton with the larger retaining ring, I haven't had any real issues with it at all. (that'll make it kersplode)