Dana 300

amp713

If you shop around you can get deals on an Atlas I was into mine around 2k and that was with 32 spline outputs a 1410 rear yoke and 1350 front. with there regular shifters and the adaptor

If i could find an atlas at 2k that was completely 100% ready to bolt in and go Id jump on it.... But im not finding that set up anywhere currently.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
If i could find an atlas at 2k that was completely 100% ready to bolt in and go Id jump on it.... But im not finding that set up anywhere currently.

Send some PMs on pirate to a few vendors, also there are always used atlas cases on pirate for 1700ish and usually they are set up for Jeeps cause guys are upgrading from jeep drivetrains to more powerful ones A used Atlas case is miles better than a new dana 300
with that being said a lot of the top WeRock guys run 300s they can take a serious beating but not without dumping money into them

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
This might be an odd question but what has you wanting to upgrade from the 231 in the first place? What are the specs for the rest of your rig? Just out of curiosity and to help figure out what "fits"

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
This might be an odd question but what has you wanting to upgrade from the 231 in the first place? What are the specs for the rest of your rig? Just out of curiosity and to help figure out what "fits"

the 231 is a tough little case, the only thing you really gain in a 300 is twin sticks and a leaky cast iron case

N-Smooth

the 231 is a tough little case, the only thing you really gain in a 300 is twin sticks and a leaky cast iron case

That's why I ask ;)
Twin sticks would be pointless if he has a dana30 besides the 2LO feature.

amp713

Im after the ability to go 4:1 and the twin sticks would be nice also but one other thought was the shorter tcase. I know a lot of guys say if i want 4:1 just go with the terra low kit but I hear about them breaking more than i hear about 300's leaking it seems. I hear they are also loud and if i was gonna go with a terralow id make the push for the atlas since the most you can do with a 231 it seems is a short shaft and terra low.... OR doubles but thats another story.

Currently yes I only have the HP30 but may be swapping in a built solid 30 this summer when my buddy gets to swapping in his 60 front in his TJ. If that doesnt go through Ill keep an eye out for something else at a bargain. Honestly the only thing i havent bought for a bargain/trade/deal of some sort was the jeep itself and my rear OX locker (and even then i tried like hell to make a bargain but just got it for discount from a buddy)

Also after saying if i could swing a complete atlas for 2k i would... Well I got thinking about it and i remembered thats whay im looking at the 300.... I can only swing a max of a grand right now basically.....

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
so keep the 231 and build a 60 for the front way mo bettah investment

I beat the tar out of my old teralow and never had an issue, held up to sticky 40s and full throttle for a long time until I decided i wanted lower gearing and went to a doubler I can get you a smoking deal on a tera low setup

RockChucker

nothing wrong with a teralow, or a rubicon case if you can find one...they are pretty hard to find. and if you want 2 low, teraflex also has a 2 low kit for both a rubicon case or a 231/teralow. best investment I made for my tcase until I sold it and bought a 3 speed Hero.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
For what it's worth my 300 doesn't leak, and it's flipped. I've broken drivelines and my stock outputs are fine still.
I'm not nice to it either.

I've spent my extra money on wheeling instead of parts.

I don't think I'd regret an Atlas, but too many folks think they've got to have this or that to have fun.

Last edited:

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
For what it's worth my 300 doesn't leak, and it's flipped. I've broken drivelines and my stock outputs are fine still.
I'm not nice to it either.

I've spent my extra money on wheeling instead of parts.

I don't think I'd regret an Atlas, but too many folks think they've got to have this or that to have fun.

I certainly have never seen anyone frown doing a front burn......

amp713

Ok guys dont hate me.... haha started this big thread and my buddy kind cornered me and pointed out a lot of things that i could do with the 1k i was looking at putting into a 300. Most of which I would still need to do after the 300. I think I need to step back and knock out some of these smaller things first, most of which is going to make a fast improvment versus 1k to have twin sticks and stock gearing..... I do however want to say that when the time comes again I may still look into a 300.

HOWEVER..... ***********SKIPPY********* (did I get your attention??) let me know on that terralow. PM me when you get time! Also.... may have found a ride for your 61 but thats not the first time ive said that... :(

N-Smooth

That's what I was trying to do, get you to work on other stuff first. RME homies sometimes know what's best

amp713

That's what I was trying to do, get you to work on other stuff first. RME homies sometimes know what's best

Ya and a few other friends kinda hinted to it but im kinda stubborn... My friend litterally cornered me walked me out to my jeep and pointed at stuff and was like what the hell man what the hell man what the hell man......

My head sometimes becomes a rock but he swung a heavy hammer...

N-Smooth

Ya and a few other friends kinda hinted to it but im kinda stubborn... My friend litterally cornered me walked me out to my jeep and pointed at stuff and was like what the hell man what the hell man what the hell man......

My head sometimes becomes a rock but he swung a heavy hammer...

I searched and found a thread from 7/2004 (skippy was still in diapers) where I was thinking about putting an atlas in my XJuggy with d44's and hickey said something along the lines of "that would be the surprise corn in that turd" so yeah, I didn't get an atlas...